Stihl BB 460 upgrade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnichols

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
After recently repairing my 262xp, a work buddy gave me three repairable saws.... a Stihl 009, a 61 husqvarna, and a 288. My workbenches are now cleared off for this "chainsaw bug" that I seem to have caught after joining this site. I've even put off building a water/methanol injected Vortec supercharged 496 BBC for my one-of-a-kind Jeep project. I literially can't help myself. Between work and my saw projects my sleep time is starting to suffer; not even going to talk about problems arising with girlfriend. I try to read as many forums as I can but I as of yet haven't come across port dimensions to boost my Stihl 460. I try to always be a do-it-yourselfer in everything I do. After reading some forums here I chose to add a 64mm P/C kit to my 460. The saw already has a dual port muffler and a free flowing air filter. My tach, after slightly enriching the high-end, shows about 13,600 rpm . As some members has said, a fully ported and polished OEM CAN run better than a BB kit.I feel in my case this is true as I have made timed cuts before and after installing the kit. I have lived by the rule of thumb there's no replacement for distplacement, but as a mechanic I know there are exceptions. Not touching my OEM P/C , I would like trying pop-up piston and reshapeing ports if someone out there could give specifics for the 64mm kit. Reason tells me the kit could do better. Thank you all in advance for any advise given. May GOD bless you all !

Back