• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Stihl BT 106 Auger

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 188535

Chainsaw-wielding middle-schooler
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Stihl BT 106 auger that needed a carb rebuild a wash, and new fuel line. I purchased it at a rental Yard with the intent of fixing it up for drilling holes to plant flowers, but I recently got a big Makita hammer drill that I can put a small auger bit into. I don't want another gas landscaping machine to be maintained. Starts and runs.

$110 not including shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3950710278...uid=sks1nbpsttc&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
20231217_125022.jpg20231217_155339.jpg20231217_155346.jpg20231217_155354.jpg20231217_155331.jpg

What kind of auger shank fits that splined drive?

There are four standard sizes of SDS: SDS Quick, SDS-plus (or SDSplus or SDS+), SDS-Top and SDS-max.

1703049171547.png
That doesn't look like any of the drives that I recognize, so I suspect that Stihl has their own proprietary drive. That would mean that none of my bits could fit it, and they would only be available at the Stihl dealership.

What kind of auger shank fits that splined drive?

There are four standard sizes of SDS: SDS Quick, SDS-plus (or SDSplus or SDS+), SDS-Top and SDS-max.

View attachment 1137188
That doesn't look like any of the drives that I recognize, so I suspect that Stihl has their own proprietary drive. That would mean that none of my bits could fit it, and they would only be available at the Stihl dealership.
Uhhhhhh. It is an EARTH auger, not an SDS drill. You may be a bit confused.

Uhhhhhh. It is an EARTH auger, not an SDS drill. You may be a bit confused.

You might consider answering the question, rather than attacking the OP.
I'll ask you again:
What kind of auger shank fits that splined drive?...

We aren't. The drive is a star shaft that goes on all stihl augers and many other brands of augers.

Your photo reveals a splined output shaft. I doubt that would qualify as a "star shaft", but I'll not comment on how many makers use that style. Like I said before, I've not seen that style before.

Stihl does not identify the drive style with either a picture or description, so I am guessing that it is proprietary.

I have found a fair number of adapters listed for that machine, but not a single one of them tells me what the input profile is. Could you perhaps include a photograph of the end of the shaft so that it reveals the profile necessary to fit an auger or adapter?

Latest posts

Back