STIHL causing trouble.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimllshiftit

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This has been going on for too long now, although its improving with every new part i chuck at it.

My machine is a Stihl fs76 trimmer which cuts out quite regularly when in use.

The machine has been fitted with new gaskets, rings, crank seals etc etc and its got a good strong and reliable spark so i guess its a fuel problem.

The fuel tank has been cleaned out, the fuel pipes are spotless and its got a new filter. Other than a fault in the carb I cant think of anthing else it could be. Can you?

Having stripped the carb down i cant see anything obviously blocked or dirty but then they are fiddly things to get into and so much of it cant be stripped anyway. The carb needle looks ok, but its probably been in there from new
(1994) and it very recently had a new diaphragm kit but its still playing up.

When the machines runs its really nice and smooth then, suddenly, it dies. The only way i can get it going again is to prime the hell out of it before pulling the cord. Does anyone know any common problems with these carbs that i dont know about? I dont want to buy a new carb until im positive that it cant be repaired and i cant find a 227f for sale on the web anyway - what other 14mm carbs will fit?

Also, what causes the fuel to get from the tank to the carb? Its not gravity as the tank is below the carb and there's no fuel pump that i can see so how does that happen?

good idea, but i leaft it running with the tank cap off altogether and that didnt seem to make any difference.

Back