stihl D56 av ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuffy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just like to say hi,I am a newbie from the uk i run a stihl 039 and i love it ,i've just been offered a stihl D56 av but can't seem to find anything about it on comp any you boyz heard of one ???

You will learn a lot more about chainsaws if you scroll down to the Chainsaw Forum. Before you post anything on the site use the "search" feature and look for topics - most have already been covered and the people that provide the most information are getting weary of answering the same questions over and over and over when new people find the site. Topics like what kind of oil to use, what oil mixture, etc. are wearing them out. I can't get the search function to work by left clicking on the button - so you may have to right click on the icon and then click on the "open" part. You can search for key words in the titles only (better in my opinion) or in the entire post.

The 056 is an older saw and many are still going strong. If you have a specific repair question on one I am sure everyone will help you out.

You will learn a lot more about chainsaws if you scroll down to the Chainsaw Forum. Before you post anything on the site use the "search" feature and look for topics - most have already been covered and the people that provide the most information are getting weary of answering the same questions over and over and over when new people find the site. Topics like what kind of oil to use, what oil mixture, etc. are wearing them out. I can't get the search function to work by left clicking on the button - so you may have to right click on the icon and then click on the "open" part. You can search for key words in the titles only (better in my opinion) or in the entire post.

The 056 is an older saw and many are still going strong. If you have a specific repair question on one I am sure everyone will help you out.

Whats wrong with posting that question here?? Yes most have been covered and they are at the bottom of the list if they haven't been bumped off the list. Just as easy to make a post and let some fresh minds come in and answer them. I am fairly new to this forum and have been going through reading some of the past topics and notice there are quite a few topics that say the same thing but are worded differently. Yet the initial answers always seem to be similar it is the remaining coversations that go on for 3-5 pages if not more that I enjoy. Why not just add another thread for another conversation.

Whats wrong with posting that question here?? Yes most have been covered and they are at the bottom of the list if they haven't been bumped off the list. Just as easy to make a post and let some fresh minds come in and answer them. I am fairly new to this forum and have been going through reading some of the past topics and notice there are quite a few topics that say the same thing but are worded differently. Yet the initial answers always seem to be similar it is the remaining coversations that go on for 3-5 pages if not more that I enjoy. Why not just add another thread for another conversation.

This forum tends to be geared more toward firewood harvesting and wood burner choices rather than in-depth saw discussion... Most of the hardcore saw "heads" hang out down there...

If you where talking about a MS361 or D-5100 for cutting fuel it might generate a 3 page thread but a big ole horse like a Stihl 056 would be more appreciated in the "chainsaw" section.

But nothing says you can't put in the firewood section, it's a public forum!

Are you sure the "D" isn't a "0"?

JEff

I am reading the title of the section as "Firewood& Heating with wood Also Equipment"
You could read saws into that but, as they (saws) are already covered in the 'chainsaw' forum I think that 'equipment' is geared more towards splitters, processors, trailers, wedges and mauls, etc.......................hm, less clutter? :D :popcorn: :D

:cheers: & welcome All!

Serge

Last edited:
Chuffy:

You can post anywhere you want. I was just trying to help you get the most out of your efforts and felt you would get more attention from the people that live and breath chainsaws.....most of which are posting down at the section devoted to chainsaws. A large number of them are professonal loggers, mechanics or just plain devoted to the chainsaw as collectors or avid users. I imagine that they may never see your questions if you posted them in a section other than the Chainsaw section.

It was never my intent to make you believe you had posted wrongly - I just thought you might be able to get more attention at the Chainsaw section.

Since I see that you have only the one initial post and haven't yet posted again, let me offer you a small piece of advice. Your question is most welcome anywhere on this board and I'm sure you'll get good advice.

Here's the advice: If you take your question to the chainsaw forum, be prepared to be told that your saw is a boat anchor and you need to immediately get rid of it in favor of a 361, the 056 is a very heavy saw and a 660 would perform much better and be newer. Next you will find that you absolutely must have a 260 for limbing and light bucking. In the chainsaw forum, this would be known as the Stihl three saw plan. Feel free to substitute saws from Husky/Dolmar for their three saw plans. Before you know it, you've decided you must have/spent $2000 on three saws that you didn't even know you needed.

Just a fair word of warning. The chainsaw seems to afflict many here a AS. But they do offer wonderful advice and much expertise.

Matt

"Here's the advice: If you take your question to the chainsaw forum, be prepared to be told that your saw is a boat anchor and you need to immediately get rid of it in favor of a 361, the 056 is a very heavy saw and a 660 would perform much better and be newer. Next you will find that you absolutely must have a 260 for limbing and light bucking. In the chainsaw forum, this would be known as the Stihl three saw plan. Feel free to substitute saws from Husky/Dolmar for their three saw plans. Before you know it, you've decided you must have/spent $2000 on three saws that you didn't even know you needed."

:ices_rofl: Truer words never spoken! I only had three saws before I joined that forum!

Last edited:
I just bought a brand new saw on Friday. Why do I still have 14 saws on my ebay watch list? I was telling myself that I was just doing market research on used saws. After all of the rebuild advice on the chainsaw forum I am looking at them as possible projects. If they were to go cheap enough. Nothing like hands on learning.

Matt

Only 14?
I'm watchin 29 items right now and....I don't need anything!
Research.....that's it, research!
If I ever decide to unload any Stihls they are definitely going on e-bay.
I have routinely seen used Stihls bring within $100 of new price.

I've seen a couple of MS290s go over new when shipping is included. You get to that point why not just stop at the dealers.

Matt

Thank you

]Thanks guys for all your replies,i don't class myself yet as a true chainsaw head but funny enough i am watching about four on e bay at the mo.the 56 sounds like a big ol beast i only asked cuz it was cheap but hey i'm more than happy with my 039 as i only use it to chop log aprox12" round for firewood for my home fire, but as you say once you own one saw you soon are lookin for more saws,but aint 14 a tad excessive :blob2:

14 on my ebay watch list. None will be bought especially if my wife has anything to do with it. There are a couple of members here who claim in excess of 50 saws that all run. Various others in parts condition.

Matt

I know the last generation of the 056 which was a av magnum II was 93 cc (very large saw) and was quit in the early 90's and a power head weight of about 18lb ( thats from the stihl flyer). It was replaced by the 066 ,a friend had one a said it was a very tough old saw, you can do a search on the chainsaw forum or do google search for chainsaw collectors corner they have alot of chainsaw specs. Hope this helps, dont know alot about that model.

Latest posts

Back