Stihl dealer story

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VT-Woodchuck

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a red light 066 and fiddled around with the carb adjustment as I had read about on this forum. Being older, wiser and not really sure about what I was doing, I took it into the nearest dealer. I told him that I wanted it adjusted to 11,500 - 12,000 max and the carb needs to be rich. He gave me a funny look. I then said that I had left the 30" bar and chain on it as Stihl recommends that for proper adjustment. He stopped what he was writing and asked, "who have you been talking to?" I said that several very knowledgeable people had told me how to set the saw up for use on a mill. All he said was "Oh"

Also, when I picked it up, I had to sign a release because the chain wouldn't stop moving. The reason could be clutch springs or carb adjustment. I said you just adjusted the carb and the answer was they only adjusted the high speed jet and not the low speed. Ya gotta love it !!!

Thanks guys for the advise and expertise. Can't wait for some time to try it out.

Can I ask where you brought it?

Also did you make sure the shop was equiped with a tach before you dropped it off?

Hi Neighbor,
This is a saw that I bought off ebay several years ago and has been a good saw on the Woodbug mill. Just wanted to set it up "right". Dealer said that they use a tach. Counting on it. I must say that the dealer isn't my first choice but my genius saw guy died :cry:

I'm not sure exactly what part of the state you're in but there is a stihl guy in White River Junction that's amazing.

Sorry to hear of the passing of your genius.

retoocs555 said:
I'm not sure exactly what part of the state you're in but there is a stihl guy in White River Junction that's amazing.
Yes, I have talked with him, but he is about 45 min - hour away. He had also directed me to a guy in Lempster, NH, who was truely amazing. :bowdown: It would be handy to live closer to both.

VT-Woodchuck said:
Also, when I picked it up, I had to sign a release because the chain wouldn't stop moving. The reason could be clutch springs or carb adjustment. I said you just adjusted the carb and the answer was they only adjusted the high speed jet and not the low speed. Ya gotta love it !!!

I run on to with this situation with a used MS360 that I bought. Assumed the moving chain was due to weak clutch springs. Installed new springs. Chain still wouldn't stop. Off comes the clutch again for a closer look.

Found that the oil pump drive arm that hooks into the notch on the clutch drum was slightly offset (crooked?) and had evidently been mounted backwards and was putting enough side load on the nylon drive that the crankshaft was dragging it along when the clutch was disengaged at idle. Reversed the drive arm. Problem solved! Weird...

Dave

If the pump arm was doing that I'd guess you had a bad clutch drum and bearing... The 360 (and 034/036) were updated to the 044 size bearing... much longer life.

Lakeside53 said:
If the pump arm was doing that I'd guess you had a bad clutch drum and bearing... The 360 (and 034/036) were updated to the 044 size bearing... much longer life.

Andy:

I checked that when I put in the springs and everything was ok. I think the driver arm (wire) just got bent to the side slightly or got reversed when the previous owner reassembled it.

Dave

hyde park vt

ahhhh fellow vermonters, hey guys does anyone you know do mods to saws (exhaust) and so on. i would love to keep things local to add some performance.

stihl 650
husky 346xp
mobil 1 racing t2

Latest posts

Back