Stihl early 041

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bolton37

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I've been looking for a saw for home use mostly. My Echo CS 680 is currently at my father's, in Alabama, 1200 miles away. I came across an ad for a Stihl MS361. Guy didn't really know the condition or if it would start. He said he had other saws too, that were his father in laws. I went to check it out, and the others. (Stihl 026, Stihl 041, Husqvarna 136, and an Echo CS-400). None of which would start, however seemed clean, as on not used a ton. To my surprise, the 041 was well before the brake bar days. I asked what he wanted for the the lot of 5, and he said $200. They all need chains, and who knows what else, but I bought the lot. Just got it home, put some fresh fuel in the 041, and I kid you not, it fired right up and the thing runs like a champ! Looked up the serial number, and she's a 1971, red top. Anyone have a clue what these are worth? I haven't even tried looking parts up if one needed any. Now I know she runs, I'm going to start meticulously cleaning! 20220328_164319.jpg

Solid mount, no AV, no chain brake , not a highly sought out model.
Definitely geared more towards someone who collects them. I still can't even find one as early as this on ebay is my point, let alone running. Any I've seen have the later Stihl tagging. Here's the recoil plate on mine. I haven't found one with the old school red STIHL even.

Attachments

• 20220328_173344.jpg
    20220328_173344.jpg
    957.3 KB · Views: 0
The most often response is to put it up for sale on eBay, then see what it brings on the wide reaching market out there. Among chainsaw mechanics and users those Farm Boss non AV saws were low saws on the pole.
Which is why I'm asking here. I don't knkw a lot about it. All I know is it's earlier than the Farmboss and AV saws. And again, I can't even find one that has the early Stihl badge on the recoil. With all early Stihls combined that I find on ebay, not one is running 100%, let alone complete. From what I can find, the top cover turned to orange once they came out with the Farmboss and AV badge of the 041, and with that, the badging is a sticker.

I have a Stihl 041 AV Electronic it is orange top with the old Stihl logo on the recoil .
Kash
Do you have a picture of the logo on the recoil? When they went to the orange top, they changed the logo, from what I have gathered and found. They also brought in the branding of the AV and Farmboss when they switched to the orange top. Not saying I have a saw nobody has ever seen as well, to be clear. The only like saw I can see on ebay even, that is a red top, doesn't state the year. It's a 041 G, and not complete, and obviously not running. My saw predates that as well by the badge standard, and it's 100% complete, running, and functional.

Mine is orange 041 av electronic with Stihl log logo on the rewind exactly the same as the one in your post except my red Stihl letters are faded a bit.
Kash
Are they faded? Or not actually red? They changed to orange when the top changed, from what I have found. And then I believe the logo changed completely in 1977. What year is your saw?

It would be nice to know the exact time the colour went from red to orange and the same for the logo.
I found a site were the guy had tracked serial number dates and my saw is 1973 but from the casting clocks I have found I think it is a 77.According to that site my Stihl 030 is 1967 but the 030 came out in 69 or70.
Kash

I assume my 030 and 041 with the old logo were red letters when new..
My 3 08ss have the old logo with faded or bright red letters the other 2 have new logo but parts get changed over the years two of my 08ss started life as brush saws with circular blades they were used by the CN rail lineman to keep the pole line clear of brush.
Kash

It would be nice to know the exact time the colour went from red to orange and the same for the logo.
I found a site were the guy had tracked serial number dates and my saw is 1973 but from the casting clocks I have found I think it is a 77.According to that site my Stihl 030 is 1967 but the 030 came out in 69 or70.
Kash
Here we go.... trying to get me started. Lol. It would be nice! Lol. Mine comes back as a 71... however... lol. I just talked to a guy and he said it resembles more of a 68 first production year, or a 69. He said you can't rely on the so called SN database, and you also can't rely on your gut. Lol. I'd say it's earlier because I believe the first chain brakes came out on the 041 in 1971. From what I think I'm finding anyhow... all I know is I bought a 5 saw lot and paid $40 per saw, and this was in there. I emptied the fuel tank, put some fresh fuel in, and she fired right up. I went there for one saw, came home with 5. The MS361 I went for fires up and runs great. The 026, same deal. I got a Husqvarna 136 and that's running, and an Echo CS-4400, and it's running as well. 5 for 5. It's like I hit the lottery! Can't go wrong for $200!

Just my guess but I THINK they changed from red to orange in72.
Kash
Enjoy your new weapons of mass destruction 5 saws is only a pittance of what CAD can accomplish during your saw collecting life.

I’ll give you $200 for the o26 and the 361 and pay for shipping. You could still make a killing on the other 3😄

Based on that good fortune you should go out and buy some lotto tickets. How’d you find the deal? Where was the ad?
I'd been looking for a saw and the MS361 popped up on Marketplace. Guy said he ran it last year and he was cleaning out one of his garages. He owned a property preservation company. He does cleanouts on foreclosed homes. He listed as condition unkown, hadn't ran it this year, make an offer and come take it. Sight unseen, I said if it had good compression, I'd do $60 if i like it. I got there and he had 4 more saws pulled out. I offered $200 for the lot. I cleaned out the tanks on the 361, 026, and the 041, put in some fresh fuel, coerced the carb a little with some fuel poured in, and they all started up. Haven't messed with the 136 or the CS4400 as of yet.

I'd been looking for a saw and the MS361 popped up on Marketplace. Guy said he ran it last year and he was cleaning out one of his garages. He owned a property preservation company. He does cleanouts on foreclosed homes. He listed as condition unkown, hadn't ran it this year, make an offer and come take it. Sight unseen, I said if it had good compression, I'd do $60 if i like it. I got there and he had 4 more saws pulled out. I offered $200 for the lot. I cleaned out the tanks on the 361, 026, and the 041, put in some fresh fuel, coerced the carb a little with some fuel poured in, and they all started up. Haven't messed with the 136 or the CS4400 as of yet.
Wow, that's awesome. I would think a non-runner 361 with compression (and no scoring) could bring easily $200, maybe more. What a great find, congrats. I don't like FB Marketplace - I filter for local stuff only but end up getting a bunch of "ship to" stuff. Plus I don't have FB messenger on my phone and don't really want it. So I suppose I'm missing out on good stuff on Marketplace. I'm only browsing CL.

Wow, that's awesome. I would think a non-runner 361 with compression (and no scoring) could bring easily $200, maybe more. What a great find, congrats. I don't like FB Marketplace - I filter for local stuff only but end up getting a bunch of "ship to" stuff. Plus I don't have FB messenger on my phone and don't really want it. So I suppose I'm missing out on good stuff on Marketplace. I'm only browsing CL.
I'm in the Boston area. Craigslist is pretty much non existent now around here. I'll go on, but it's just a bunch of fake ads. I'll go on marketplace, choose a local radius, and look at their profiles to make sure they aren't full of it. The only problem I really have on there is selling stuff. It's always either a chump that responds and wastes time, or they offer a quarter what it's listed for. Like right now, I have a 1965 Nuffield 10/60 with a front end loader. It's turn key. I have it listed low at $5k. I have one guy that messages me every 2 weeks, offers $3k yet will never come look at it. Frustrating!!!

Latest posts

Back