Stihl early 041

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, there are a lot of questionable types out there. I was emailing a guy about a MS362 on CL then noticed a tree company marking on the saw. I called the company and sure enough - stolen. No wonder the price was so good. Unfortunately the company never got the saw back - they called the police to try to do something but that would take too long.
I prefer to buy cars private party - but can't separate that out on Marketplace, so another reason I gave up on it. The used car places and ads are relentless. I'll have to try to adjust settings and look for the pot-of-gold you found...
Sorry for sidelining your thread.

Yes, there are a lot of questionable types out there. I was emailing a guy about a MS362 on CL then noticed a tree company marking on the saw. I called the company and sure enough - stolen. No wonder the price was so good. Unfortunately the company never got the saw back - they called the police to try to do something but that would take too long.
I prefer to buy cars private party - but can't separate that out on Marketplace, so another reason I gave up on it. The used car places and ads are relentless. I'll have to try to adjust settings and look for the pot-of-gold you found...
Sorry for sidelining your thread.
You're not sidelining at all. Appreciate the talk. Had I known the guy had more saws, I would've been skeptical. But, when I pulled up, his company signage was everywhere, as well as on his trucks. I knew he wasn't in the business of jacking saws. Lol.

I have 3 041s right now. All three need clutch springs and a couple need oil pump seals as they leak bar oil. They all start and have good compression and are strong runners. I have very little in them.
I have an 041 - just had been struggling with a clutch problem (keep clutch for turning independent of drum). I see we live in the same state - I was really wanting to see how other people were solving their clutch issues (but I finally figured it out thanks to some other posts here. BTW I found that replacing the springs was pretty easy. I went the route of removing the clutch spyder, then the shoes were loose. Reainstall springs and use the spyder to push out the shoes as you reinstall spyder. Turns out I don't think I needed to replace the springs (even though one was looser than others). The problem was the oil gear cover (with pin). Had a collar on it that precluded the clutch from seating down onto the crankshaft collar. But now I have new clutch springs and a spare clutch (since I also bought a replacement to test).

Also just replaced the o-ring and rubber collar on the oil pump. Had a really hard time getting pump seated all the way to allow the ring clip to seat - right now it's 75% in the groove, maybe more. What a pain. Not sure if it was the replacmeent collar that caused it to stand out more than the original. Not sure how to get good leverage/pressure to push it in any further.

I found the ProLine collars would not work on my 041s due to the problem you mentioned. Replaced them with another brand and the pump seated perfect.

Back to the OP, I have an 041 like he described. It has no brake and the top cover color is kind of questionable due to fading. It has no AV and is not a Farmboss. It does not have throttle interlock. It is fun to run, has a cool sound, and needs loctite every where.

Do you have a picture of the logo on the recoil? When they went to the orange top, they changed the logo, from what I have gathered and found. They also brought in the branding of the AV and Farmboss when they switched to the orange top. Not saying I have a saw nobody has ever seen as well, to be clear. The only like saw I can see on ebay even, that is a red top, doesn't state the year. It's a 041 G, and not complete, and obviously not running. My saw predates that as well by the badge standard, and it's 100% complete, running, and functional.
Here is some pics of my 041 AV Super and 041 Farm Boss

Attachments

• 3E2A1D8E-ACED-44F2-8514-58B033994A92.jpeg
    3E2A1D8E-ACED-44F2-8514-58B033994A92.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • A35D4DBE-022B-4401-AD07-CF35F7B27BCB.jpeg
    A35D4DBE-022B-4401-AD07-CF35F7B27BCB.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
My nicest 041,

IMG_2140.jpg
IMG_2147.jpg

I think this one is a bit older,