Stihl electric chain grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsaw kid

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys, picked this up off a guy who owns a landscape comp and said he had it for about a year or so and it wasn't practical for him to keep....no one took the time to use it and he don't cut enough wood. He said he got it from a local dealer that went out of business and that he knew the guy and he only had it about a year. I have a few questions......

This thing feels tight as a drum and smoth as could be. I never used one of these before so I went to the local stihl dealer and asked him to show me a few things. The grinder I got looks just like his, only difference is his has a scale on the side of the lower deck (the piece that bolts to a bench) and you can slide the chain vice and lock it. He said they keep that at about 15 degrees. How good is the grinder I have since it don't have that? I paid $200.00, did I get a good deal?

I figured out how to use it and sharpened a chain with it.....it seamed self explanitory enough....but I would like to get any tips you guys can offer.

It has a 3/16 wheel on it now. I would like to true the stone. I spoke with the guy I got it from and he told me about a block I have to get. You don't true these stones with a dimond?

When I buy a new wheel it will have a square edge. How do I get that nice bevle edge to start sharpening chain?

I'm sure I'll have more questions but this is good for now.

Thanks,

Kevin

Lakeside......what do you think? Can you help me out with the questions?

Kevin

Hey guys, picked this up off a guy who owns a landscape comp and said he had it for about a year or so and it wasn't practical for him to keep....no one took the time to use it and he don't cut enough wood. He said he got it from a local dealer that went out of business and that he knew the guy and he only had it about a year. I have a few questions......

This thing feels tight as a drum and smoth as could be. I never used one of these before so I went to the local stihl dealer and asked him to show me a few things. The grinder I got looks just like his, only difference is his has a scale on the side of the lower deck (the piece that bolts to a bench) and you can slide the chain vice and lock it. He said they keep that at about 15 degrees. How good is the grinder I have since it don't have that? I paid $200.00, did I get a good deal?

I figured out how to use it and sharpened a chain with it.....it seamed self explanitory enough....but I would like to get any tips you guys can offer.

It has a 3/16 wheel on it now. I would like to true the stone. I spoke with the guy I got it from and he told me about a block I have to get. You don't true these stones with a dimond?

When I buy a new wheel it will have a square edge. How do I get that nice bevle edge to start sharpening chain?

I'm sure I'll have more questions but this is good for now.

Thanks,

Kevin

It's not a silvey but if all angles are correct you can't go wrong

Back