Stihl electric chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big feller

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying an old Stihl E20 electric saw. Does anyone know roughly when these were sold and if they are any good? Also whether sprockets are available.

I plan to use it for trimming stuff to fit in the stove and I don't always want to use the gas saws at home for reason of noise.

Thanks.

Big feller.

Everything is available (over here) and part from a couple of minor parts, they are the same as the current production E220.

They cut really well, and yours is higher power than ours due to the availbable amperage from 230V.

Be careful about kickback... they have incredible torque and none of the chaps are rated to stop an electric chainsaw.

I rebuilt one. Parts are outrageously expensive (in comparison to a gas saw), but it's low production volume and an expensive pro saw. If your clutch drum is in bad shape and loose, it may have damaged the bearings and shoulders on the amature... if so, and if you need a new armature, it's big bucks... Read the service manual carefully and get the correct loctite for the drum to shaft connection. Don't use the "quick stop chain brake" to stop the saw for general use - it will quickly beat up the saw (big rotating mass, instant stop)... Just let it slow down and stop, then apply the brake.

Latest posts

Back