Stihl FS 80 Popping

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happyjack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok Ok it's not a chainsaw! However, I was hoping someone could shed some light on this.

I bought a new Stihl FS80 String Trimmer. I ran 10 tanks of gas through it, so It's broken in.

The problem is there is a "popping" sound, kind of like a skip when it's running full throttle.

I brought it back to the dealer and he said it was fine. It doesn't sound fine to me. Any suggestions?

I hope I don't get lambasted for this post! I do have a 026, and then went out and bought a used MS440 after getting hooked on this site.

By the way I just bought a house, and I wanted to buy a Stihl hedge trimmer. The Wife busted my chops about the money, so I trimmed the hedges with my ms440 24" bar. I think I may have scared the neighbors. I did have my chaps and helmet on for saftey!

Thanks for any feedback

How'd they come out, I'm planning on cutting mine back this fall, they're about 7' tall and about 5' wide. I was planning on using a chainsaw but I didn't know if the saw would leave them hacked up too much.

Not that good. I hacked the ???? out of them kind of on purpose!

Mostly to show the Wife that we needed a hedge trimmer! Man I hope she doesn't by me an eletric one..if she does I'll have to back over it with the truck by mistake.

Happyjack, You're about 2 hours from me, some day if I'm bored I'll drive over with my hs-45 and let you show the wife how much better a real hedge trimme works than a chainsaw. BTW, if the dealer cheacked the trimmer with a tach he may be right. Ask the dealer to run another FS80 and show you how "they all do that" if he can't show you another one that does the smae thing then make him fix yours or ind another dealer. If you wanted to drive the 2 hours I'd look at and warranty the repair if needed thought the shop where I work (2 nights a week, get a ton of 2 cycle stuff done)

Happyjack,
For what its worth, my brother just bought the same trimmer at the dealer in Old Saybrook and he went through the exact same deal with the popping sound. The dealer ran it and heard it and said it was fine. Who really knows for sure but just wanted you to know it happened to him also. Mabey it is this Ct air or something.

Sedanman I appreciate the offer. My weekends are jammed up working ,since it's my busy season with work.

Stihl Tech shouldn't my Stihl shop know this? Is there a way I can adjust the Governer myself? It doesn't make the popping sound until it's warmed up. Is this an indication of anything?

Orange Wedgie THIS IS YOUR BROTHER YOU SHMUCK!

Hey Happy !

You know after I responded I thought that sounded like what YOU
told me a month ago. Good to see you have the comptr. hooked up at the new house.

PS

Big tree coming down in North Haven this weekend...
How bought that MS440 for the day????

PSS

You were right abount the hedges looking like cr%p!

Thanks for the reply Stihltech. Man I wish you lived in CT.!

Should I bring my FS 80 back to my dealer and tell him to replace the Governor or just live with my "popping" Trimmer. I payed the $275 to get a good trimmer. I'm feeling kind of gyped and bothered by this problem.

Also, I asked the same question on ************ . The most intelligent answer I received was take the spark arrestor screen off the exhaust. Nothing like the talent on this site.

PS. Yes bro you can barrow my MS440 and 026 and my chaps too.

You are all heart Dave
You want in on this deal saterday?
Drop, cut, stack and out we go, no hauling any junk out.

Holy cow we are talking again!
:blob2: :blob2:

Latest posts

Back