Stihl FS550 seized...again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2meke

Reaction score
I have a FS550 brushcutter and not long ago it seized. I am pretty sure that the fuel mix was right, and no different to what I had been using. Anyway I stripped the jug off, ordered a new jug/piston/rings etc from Huztl and fitted it all ok, with plenty of lube. I was getting 165 psi or so so all looked good. Ran a tank of gas, shut it down and no start.
To cut a long story short, it has partially seized the rings in the piston and scored the cylinder. Ughhhh.
I am not sure what the problem is. The machine was idling a bit rough (I had also rebuilt the carb-and reset it as per the manual) but I thought it might just be a bit oily from assembly. I am not 100% certain how good a seal the intake manifold is making and I wonder if it was running a bit lean, which is why it wasn't idling well? Does anyone know a good Stihl dealer in the US to get one from? What else is likely to be causing it to run lean...?
It is pretty frustrating and it has been a great machine up until now.

Latest posts

Back