Stihl Full Synthtic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonBull

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I heard about this one today. Supposedly it will be on shelves by August. The test that I heard of was a blower running full rpms for 500 hours. They say it had almost ZERO carbon and higher compression than when it was new??? Fact or Fiction?

BostonBull said:
I heard about this one today. Supposedly it will be on shelves by August. The test that I heard of was a blower running full rpms for 500 hours. They say it had almost ZERO carbon and higher compression than when it was new??? Fact or Fiction?

I believe anything running at full RPM's for 500 hours would have little to no carbon build-up, temperatures would be so high that it would just burn off.

Lakeside53 said:
Made for Stihl by Castrol in Italy.

Not trying to be a naysayer or stir the pot, but pull the spec on the oil and post it up...I bet ya it is the same Castrol 2-stroke oil that they sell at the auto parts stores - just bottled in a cute orange and white bottle with a price higher than it's identical twin!

Four Paws said:
\
Not trying to be a naysayer or stir the pot, but pull the spec on the oil and post it up...I bet ya it is the same Castrol 2-stroke oil that they sell at the auto parts stores - just bottled in a cute orange and white bottle with a price higher than it's identical twin!

I thought the same, but it's not...

I read about Stihl putting out a 2 stroke oil a few weeks ago. I bet with their newer saws they will start recommending a 100 to 1 mix using the synthetic. Dolmar has. I had some Castrol synthetic that came with a new Solo, but I've never seen it in any of the auto or big box stores around here.

Hi,

strangely enough here in Germany Stihl has replaced the full synthetic HT Bio plus (or was HT plus Bio) that I used up until now with a semi synthetic called HP Super. I don't know why though. Very strange. Anyway the HP Super now has a fuel stabiliser added which wasn't the case with the older full synthetic or the standard red mineral oil (I only use this for running my engines in anyway these days).

I always found that the standard red mineral oil left a lot of deposits, even at 2% mix, but the synthetic left everything really clean even though I use it in a 3% mix. Now that the full synthetic is gone I will either have to give the semi synthetic a try or look for a suitable full synthetic from another manufacturer such as Husqvarna or maybe Motul.

I find the different marketing quite confusing at times. Some dealers here say the red Stihl oil is synthetic, which it isn't, it is only a Standard API-TC mineral oil. The old full synthetic didn't say what standards it reached, if any, and the new semi synthetic has ISO-L-EGD which is very good. Husqvarna of course has had ISO-L-EGD oil on sale for years.

Still all of this probably only applies to Germany but I should imagine that the oils are the same in America and that the marketing people have always been playing around to make the old oils appear better than they actually were. Maybe someone could tell me if the new "fully synthetic" over there is actually just the semi synthetic HP Super?

Bye

PS here in Germany Stihl ONLY recommends 1:50 (2%) for Stihl oils or 1:25 (4%) for others oils of "dubious" quality, although I did get Stihl to admit to me that e.g. Castrol RS2 or the full synthetic Ester based oil from Motul are just as good or better than the "standard" Stihl oil. Wasn't easy going to get an answer though...

Last edited:
Monkey: Interesting... Over here we don't even have the same colors! Our oils have always had stabilizer added. Maybe because of our fuels?
The semi-synthetic now called HP Super has been available for a few years under the name "Low Smoke" and was in Black Plastic bottles. It was brought out primarily for the 4-mix engines to reduce carbon build-up on the exhaust valve. I'm betting the HP Ultra gets recommended for the 4-mix real soon, and at a substantially reduced ratio. Turns out the 4-mix really doesn't need a lot of oil as the crank case oil residue builds up and acts as the lube supply. Too much oil in the mix and you end up with carbon adhering to the exhaust valves.

Stihl Crazy said:
Here is what we have for oil.

Completely different packaging to what we have here. That looks just like the ordinary mineral oil, the stuff we get in orange bottles here. What color dye is in it?

Latest posts

Back