MS500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twinfield

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Other than improperly mix fuel/oil or straight gas, have any of you had a 500i end up with a scored piston and cylinder after only a couple hours of running. Everything has passed on the Stihl engine check sheet and when hooked up to the MDG 1 it shows both at idle and full throttle running on the lean side. The customer says he is the only one who mixes the fuel, but I can't tell you how many times I'v heard that. Thanks

Other than improperly mix fuel/oil or straight gas, have any of you had a 500i end up with a scored piston and cylinder after only a couple hours of running. Everything has passed on the Stihl engine check sheet and when hooked up to the MDG 1 it shows both at idle and full throttle running on the lean side. The customer says he is the only one who mixes the fuel, but I can't tell you how many times I'v heard that. Thanks
If you're a dealer you should know that answer. If not ask around more.

Is scored on both sides, or the intake only?

Could it be from not getting the cylinder warmed up before going WOT? I think I saw one that they claimed was run hard from the start with no warm up and the piston expanded faster than the cylinder which caused it to scuff bad like that.
AKA as a cold seizure, reminds me of the old Dirt Bike days. Prob not in this case the computer indicated a lean condition, but it also might look like no oil, maybe a combination ?

We get a yes or no on a warranty request the same or next day. They always say yes. So far.

I don't see how you can look at that piston and not consider the possibility that it was straight gas.
Looks just like it.
So, if Stihl has that issue they know it. And, if they don't they know it.

Curious where the 40 days plays in.

Do a pressure/vacuum test on the saw. Also, pull all the data in the control module using the MDG1 and save it. If your pursuing a warranty claim Stihl is going to want that information. I’m dealing with the exact same situation on a low hour MS500i as we speak. In this case the customer was running a 36” bar cutting a stump and overheated the saw. Maybe the chain wasn’t as sharp as it should have been, maybe the fuel mix was a little leaner than it should have been, etc. there’s likely other factors that came into play, of course the customer said “I was cutting and the saw just stopped”.

Latest posts

Back