500i issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man I am way to cheap. I charge half that with no drop off fee. Time to up it.
Maybe I would have less customers that leave the saw and never come back to pay the bill.
That is the reason for a repair shop charging a drop off fee.
Does not pay the bills when the blown up saw is left.
And no, you usually cannot recoup those loses in reselling parts or repairing the saw.
Nice guys in a shop do finish last, sad to say.

Hell, we don't charge anything to anybody who drops off a saw. Until recently we didn't even charge for flooded or stopped up muffler screens, that kind of thing.
Started charging $10 just because it takes us a few minutes.

Anyhow, anybody who thinks we are screwing you needs to go somewhere anywhere and leave me alone.

My Stihl guy says he makes his money on servicing stuff. Of course he sells lawnmowers and other stuff also. I know his service guy has them in line waiting for service. Our lawn cutting / mowing season lasts from March to almost Christmas.

So the labor is lost that counts.
This thread was about a 500i. If a customer abandons a 500i and you CAN'T rebuild or part out you are BANKRUPT. If you PAY an employee $30/ hr and customer burns you on 2 hours labour, where can you buy a 500i for $60?

If you work on junk saws that are worth $200 new and you can't tell in 3 minutes whether the saw is junk you are again BANKRUPT tying up 30% of a saws "used" value in labour in the first hour.

I disagreed to not being able to recoup the cost in parts.
I suspect you could part out a MS500I on eBay and come out.
We just don't part stuff out. If the item is never picked up and none of us want it, it goes in a pile and a man who has time to part **** out gets it.

I suspect you could part out a MS500I on eBay and come out.
We just don't part stuff out. If the item is never picked up and none of us want it, it goes in a pile and a man who has time to part **** out gets it.
There is a ton of money to be made in selling the obsolete. Parts can average 3 times the cash value on certain items and when I need something it's in inventory, sold as is and doesn't require running in wood so some idiot doesn't burn it up. Average strip time 30 minutes including splitting cases, drop parts in diesel fuel followed by a bath in a huge ultrasonic. Parts are sold at fixed prices and you don't have the interruption of phone calls, arguing about how long it takes or explaining pump gas or oil mixes, or see you on Thurs.

There is a ton of money to be made in selling the obsolete. Parts can average 3 times the cash value on certain items and when I need something it's in inventory, sold as is and doesn't require running in wood so some idiot doesn't burn it up. Average strip time 30 minutes including splitting cases, drop parts in diesel fuel followed by a bath in a huge ultrasonic. Parts are sold at fixed prices and you don't have the interruption of phone calls, arguing about how long it takes or explaining pump gas or oil mixes, or see you on Thurs.

Yeah. Look at Bryce or however you spell it out in Washington state. He has made a crap load of money.
But, for whatever reason it doesn't interest me.
Now, I will sell a complete saw if I can get it in good shape, often buying parts from people like you or whoever.
Just bought a used ignition for a BR450 last week.
So, I am happy that people do it.

How do you have the time to do all this when you are backed up in the shop? I always figured customers come first.
And yeah you are right, it is sounding like an oil thread. Time to move on.

How do you have the time to do all this when you are backed up in the shop?
Economics 101 is a different forum. I did 7 TS800's this week. it takes 15-30 minutes to disassemble and split cases. Beteween Stens, Echio and Stihl backorders I can't get parts fast enough. If you have time to wait for parts shipments your shop isn't that busy. My clients need stuff fixed today. I don't make money on dealer parts and neither will anybody that reads this. I am not a financier to the customer nor a collection agent for Stihl.
Just think of all the times you chased coil issues or carb issues how handy it is to have a test unit and not have to be out of pocket for something you aren't sure will be the fix.

Back