500i issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saw Fixr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all,

Does anyone have experience with fuel injected saws? I have this 500i that runs like its fuel starved (?), as shown in the video…..

I pulled the plug and muffler, and the cylinder is perfect. But, what's interesting is…in turning the flywheel (by hand) with these removed, you’d swear the bearings are shot. It’s almost like feeling a rough spot every 15-20 degrees of rotation. But I took it to the dealer, and he confirmed it’s normal, verifying this on a brand new 500i.

I’m not sure where to start other than fresh fuel and maybe liquid carb cleaner and run it a bit.

If that doesn’t work, I’ll probably have to take Simon and have it hooked up to their computer…

This is at full throttle, except when I let it return to idle…

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3335.mov
    49.5 MB
Damn autocorrect…I meant take it in and have it checked out/hooked on the computer.

But thanks Zero Junk, for confirming this as well. I about to pull the cylinder before I took it to the dealer to have him look at it. His main repair guy wasn’t there yesterday and he thought it was weird too, in how it felt while rotating it, until he checked his new one. It’ll definitely throw one for a loop….

Switch to the updated fuel filter, they are smaller micron. Pull the injector and flush it incase there is dirt inside that bypassed the filter. It's a common thing. Check your fuel hose for cracks or vacuum test it AND/ OR change the hose while you are there already. If that doesn't work let us know.
There is also an optical sensor may be dirty below the injector. If it is dirty may lean fuel out.

A computer diag doesn't always correctly diagnose a mechanical issue and will sometimes send you askew.

Don't put snake oil in saws. I have one that somebody put "carb magic" in that was guaranteed and it ate the paint out of the gas tank. Additives don't unplug pumps and injectors.

Will do.Thanks!

So, the injector would be the assembly that’s in place of the carb, same location?

Will do.Thanks!

So, the injector would be the assembly that’s in place of the carb, same location?
The thing with a flap is a throttle body, you are looking for where the fuel hoses go in. They run a pump since you don't have a carb. Usually it's below the T.B.

I may end up doing just that. I still have to replace the starter rope and oil pump. It’s for a local tree company that I do all their repairs for, but I’m not opposed to it.
However, I did become pretty good at repairing all their Husqvarna battery saws by tinkering….But this one, if it needs software to diagnose, will be necessary….

The thing with a flap is a throttle body, you are looking for where the fuel hoses go in. They run a pump since you don't have a carb. Usually it's below the T.B.
Thanks! I’ll look closer, before I make a fool out of myself….

Most of those can be fixed without software IMO, make sure you do the relearn after the repairs. I do quite a few TS500's here and check the wiring to the injector or pump for bare spots as well. They rub through on the cases.
Early automotive OBD could tell you a cylinder miss but not a plugged injector or bad valve. A bad valve, coil or head gasket would throw a MAP code.
Also give the flywheel and clutch a wiggle to check bearings. If they are shot the seals will leak which is more common with the cement dust which seems to be the only work I get.

Don't mess with it and take the saw to your dealer. That saw is to expensive for just trying this or that to fix the issue.
His dealer doesn't know about stators? Ok, but every person in the damn place should know about the filters and pumps plugging. They probably just want the $59.95 for a diagnostic and 3 hours repair bill.

So …. I drained the fuel, and there’s some dirt/sediment in the tank, which I drained as good as I could. I only had a small amount of fresh fuel mix left, which I put in and ran it. At first it still ran poorly, same as in the video. Then I ran it just off idle, for a bit, until the rpm started to drop off, bumping it up to probably around 1/2 until the rpm dropped off again. I did it probably 2 more times, increasing the throttle each time, then finally went full and it seemed to clear up. (?). No idea if I “fixed” or “reset” anything. Maybe it was dirty fuel.. The dealer did say that the 500i really does need high quality, fresh clean fuel with this fuel injection system. I’ve constantly stressed to this tree company that I do the work for, about being better with their fuel management, but…..deaf ears, once it trickles down to their employees.

I’m going to change the fuel filter, as suggested, and flush/refill the tank and go from there…thanks for all the help. I’ll update this again after I change the filter, and replace the oil pump (oiling issue).

Thanks to all, for the suggestions.

Sorry, I should have been more clear on the liquid carb clean…I add a capful of berrymans or ethanol shield , mechanic in a bottle when I fill up a saw after I service them

His dealer doesn't know about stators? Ok, but every person in the damn place should know about the filters and pumps plugging. They probably just want the $59.95 for a diagnostic and 3 hours repair bill.
Usually they want a lot more than $60 for a diagnostic and 3 hours of repair. Around here you pay $100 in advance by dropping off the saw for repair and they keep that $100 even if they cannot get the saw to run. That's the way it is.

Usually they want a lot more than $60 for a diagnostic and 3 hours of repair. Around here you pay $100 in advance by dropping off the saw for repair and they keep that $100 even if they cannot get the saw to run. That's the way it is.
I was being polite about dealers. I buy all the equipment they scrap that they can't fix. The ones that have bad spark plugs give me a warm and fuzzy sense of satisfaction.

Hey SawFxr. Man, my 500i acted pretty similar to yours. Didn't want to idle for more than about 10 seconds and then it would die then be hard to restart. Mine's been ported by Kevin LaVanway (XS) so I called him. He said to dump the fuel in the tank and run a tank of TrueFuel thru it. He said it's something to do with the mixed fuel beginning to evaporate as we start to have warmer days in the spring which effects the Mtronics. I did it and haven't had any issues the last couple of times cutting. I sure hope it's just a short, seasonal issue 'cause there's no way I can afford to run that premixed canned fuel all the time...lol.

Man I am way to cheap. I charge half that with no drop off fee. Time to up it.
Maybe I would have less customers that leave the saw and never come back to pay the bill.
That is the reason for a repair shop charging a drop off fee.
Does not pay the bills when the blown up saw is left.
And no, you usually cannot recoup those loses in reselling parts or repairing the saw.
Nice guys in a shop do finish last, sad to say.

Latest posts

Back