What Am I Doing Wrong!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John W Foster

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello All:

In the last 5 years I have had 3 saws die on me as a result of scored pistons and cylinders. Two were Husqvarna ( one an XP) and the latest a Stihl 291 that was barely a month old. The 291 had only ever seem premium gas and had only Stihl oil mixed with the gas. We always run the saws at full throttle when cutting. We use them for cutting firewood for our own use so it is not like they are being run 24/7. The curious thing is that my old Husqvarna 353 which is probably 10-15 years old keeps chugging along and has never needed major repair, it does the same work and burns the same fuel as the other saws do. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
John

Hello All:

In the last 5 years I have had 3 saws die on me as a result of scored pistons and cylinders. Two were Husqvarna ( one an XP) and the latest a Stihl 291 that was barely a month old. The 291 had only ever seem premium gas and had only Stihl oil mixed with the gas. We always run the saws at full throttle when cutting. We use them for cutting firewood for our own use so it is not like they are being run 24/7. The curious thing is that my old Husqvarna 353 which is probably 10-15 years old keeps chugging along and has never needed major repair, it does the same work and burns the same fuel as the other saws do. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
John
Are you getting dirt and grit past the air filter?

I would absolutely pursue a warranty claim on the 291. The dealer should be adjusting the carb before it leaves the store, they run too lean out of the box. I just sold a 291 not ten minutes ago. Opened up the high speed almost 1/2 turn and low speed about 1/4 turn. Bumped the idle speed up as well. We adjust every single new two stroke machine that goes out the door.

I got a lot of good advice on my recent MS291 scoring case; https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/ms291-cracked-piston.371479

From my recent learning causes of overheating in the MS291 can be:
- dull chain or improperly set chain rakers causing saw to rev too high and overheat
- carb settings too lean (strato carb tendency with ms291)
- leak sucking air causing lean condition and overheating
- improperly mixed fuel or too lean fuel to oil mixture: try 40:1
- water in fuel

We have a couple of card board boxes full of top ends and complete four mix engines in case Stihl ever wants to come and inspect. They never have.

If they have an issue they know it. If they don't have an issue they know it.
I would. So far, they do not check behind us.

I should rephrase that. We have to send it in for approval. But, if they approve it that's the end of it.

The newer strato style saws dont like being worked hard if they're set a touch lean and running 50:1.
It's not just one thing it's a combination of all 3 things.
If you set the carb a little rich they last fine or if you run 32:1 they will last, doing a muffler mod to get rid of heat helps too.
Older saws are just tougher, they dont have strato ports so they get more gas/lube, the mufflers are more open so they dont get as hot and they're generally set a little richer keeping them cooler. This is why your 353 is still going.

The newer strato style saws dont like being worked hard if they're set a touch lean and running 50:1.
It's not just one thing it's a combination of all 3 things.
If you set the carb a little rich they last fine or if you run 32:1 they will last, doing a muffler mod to get rid of heat helps too.
Older saws are just tougher, they dont have strato ports so they get more gas/lube, the mufflers are more open so they dont get as hot and they're generally set a little richer keeping them cooler. This is why your 353 is still going.

Which is exactly why I asked for photos back in post #5- but we have no further information since.

Latest posts

Back