Stihl gas filter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boilerhouse47

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just put a new gas filter in my MS290. I purchased a new filter from my Stihl dealer and when I pulled the old one out of the tank, I found that the body size was the same, but the nipple end you insert into the gas line was smaller on the new one. I took the new filter back and they gave me another one. This filter has a bigger body, but the end that goes in the gas line is the same size as the old filter and you can see some sort of copper looking material through a small hole in the body of this second new filter. Is this the right filter for the MS290 and will it cause my saw to suck air from the gas tank long before the gas runs low? I don’t want to burn it up because it is running lean. This saw was purchased in 2002.
Boiler
P.S. Ride me about the nipple thing, but what else would you call it?

The filter is designed to WICK gas from a foaming tank. It does not have to be complelty under the gas to function.

I do not know what your dealer gave you. Sound like the "high flow" version, but may not even be a stihl filter. Does it have Stihl part number on it?

The OEM filter will have the larger nipple, but the same size body as the smaller nipple. It should look exactly the same as the one you took out, which is also repairable by insertion of a $2 insert.

The first filter was a Stihl part in a plastic bag, the second filter the repairman just went back into the shop and returned with an unrapped filter.

Stihl fuel filters

The original fuel filter for an 029 or MS 290 is p/n 0000-350-3500. I often use the "heavy" filter #0000-350-3504 as a replacement. The heavy filter is supposed to help the filter stay nearer the bottom of the fuel tank (useful in older saws where the fuel hose is not as flexible as it used to be). The fuel filter with the smaller nipple is the 0000-350-3502 and is commonly used in blowers and trimmers. Its heavy version is 0000-350-3506. Either the standard or the heavy filter with the large nipple is correct for your application. I have never been able to see any performance differences between the two. Whatever filter you use, be sure it is capable of flowing enough fuel for the application- lots of the smaller Walbro filters are only good for 45-50 cc engines. As the filter gets dirty its maximum flow is reduced so a filter that started off as being adequate is now incapable of delivering enough fuel and a lean-run situation can occur.

Thanks to all for the info. Stihldoc, I took your part numbers with me when I went back to my dealer today and he said the first filter wasn't a Stihl part. When I asked him for the 350 3500 or 3504 filter he just kept saying the big filter he gave me would work. Maybe it's time to go to a another dealer.:mad:
Thanks again

Those numbers are all valid. Go to another dealer. Any servicing dealer worth spending money at stocks at least 4 different stihl fuel filters. Don't forget that most of the are rebuildable by just poping off the top and replaceing the white insert... I see stack of filters thrown away because nobody knows they are rebuildable in a few seconds.

Latest posts

Back