Stihl MS 180 vs MS 180C

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not sure if the MS 270 is discontinued here or not. When I went to my dealer about a month or so ago, he had the MS 270 and the MS 280 in stock. I can't tell you if it was old stock or not. They are both also still listed on their website in the States.

I just checked their site and they offer both the regular ms 270 and the ms 270C listed as options.

Last edited:
I am not sure if the MS 270 is discontinued here or not. When I went to my dealer about a month or so ago, he had the MS 270 and the MS 280 in stock. I can't tell you if it was old stock or not. They are both also still listed on their website in the States.

I just checked their site and they offer both the regular ms 270 and the ms 270C listed as options.

Yes, I am well aware that the story is different in the US - by "here" I meant the country I live in.

Lots of models were never offered here, as they were regarded as "lesser" variants of other ones - some exemples are 290, 310, 240, 341, 440! and 650.

The only one that may have been missed by some is the 440, as it wasn't just a smaller cc version of the 460.

Last edited:
HemiMop, I like ya so I'm going to lay the cold hard truth on ya. Don't buy a 180. I know they are affordable, but just keep the eye on the prize for a better saw. Buy what you really want the first time even if you gotta wait for it

HemiMop, I like ya so I'm going to lay the cold hard truth on ya. Don't buy a 180. I know they are affordable, but just keep the eye on the prize for a better saw. Buy what you really want the first time even if you gotta wait for it

Makes complete sense normally...but easier said than done, you weren't the one trimming pretty high up, low hanging drooping pine tree branches from a ladder with a 13 lb 029. I can do it, but I have to climb down and move the around the tree atleast once, cuz I can't wrap around one armmed (safely) with that heavy saw

Last edited:
when I got my MS180 second hand, it was the C version. After a while, I got fed up with the easy start feature and replaced the recoil with a normal one off a 170. I didn't notice any difference in the weight!

One thing to bear in mind, I found with the C version I couldn't safely use the saw on its side (bar horizontal) because I couldn't get my hand in underneath the handle the recoil sticks out so much! I guess it's fine if you're just cutting wood on a sawhorse, but if you need to use the saw in other positions I'd skip the C.

It is easy to change the recoil, just find a fried 170/180 and nick the recoil starter off it!

cheers,
Joe

Makes complete sense normally...but easier said than done, you weren't the one trimming pretty high up, low hanging drooping one tree branches from a ladder with a 13 lb 029. I can do it, but I have to climb down and move the around the tree atleast once, cuz I can't wrap around one armmed (safely) with that heavy saw

just read this post, I completely agree! was topping out a leylandii hedge the other day, the 346xp stayed in the van as it was too heavy to be slinging here there and everywhere, the little 180 is perfect as the poor mans MS200!

cheers,
Joe

I have a 180 mini-boss which had the quick chain adjust. It kept slipping so I replaced it with parts from the 170 (clutch cover,bar stud, chain adjuster) I think it cost me about $25. I also put an adjustable carb on it and opened up the muffler and put a 7pin rim and drum on it (025 parts) It has a lot more power than stock and is actually pretty fast

I have tossed around both the 180 and the 180C and by far I prefer the latter. The reason being is that I feel that the extra weight of the 180C has more momentum once it makes initial contact with the ground/pavement, which in most instances makes for a much farther toss.

I have tossed around both the 180 and the 180C and by far I prefer the latter. The reason being is that I feel that the extra weight of the 180C has more momentum once it makes initial contact with the ground/pavement, which in most instances makes for a much farther toss.

yass yass.

Hemi, can you swing the bucks for a 192? Overhead trimming on a ladder is top handle territory for sure. Even a used top handle woudl put you farther ahead than a 180 in my opinion

Right, once SawTroll mentioned it wouldn't be worth the time/money, I got the idea out of my head, the secondary question was if the part(s) end up going bad, is it possible to just slap on the similar part from a standard 180 instead of a C? Sorry for not being real clear, I have an odd way of communicating in written form for whatever reason

When the quick adjuster goes bad, a cover with bolts instead from a regular 180 should fit. The chainbrake is on the "inside" so to speak. The question is how the chain tensioner works on the non-quick adjust models. I think the starter assembly will bolt right on, but the other side may be a bit of a hassle. Can someone else confirm or disprove this?

I don't have a problem with using the saw with the bar horisontal on account of the handle - 1-1/3 inch of space is enough for my small hands...

Latest posts

Back