Stihl MS 250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick_MS250

Reaction score
I just bought a brand new Stihl MS 250 in Québec City from my local Dealer.
375$CAD. I was wondering, what is the best set up to cut mostly through 18"" pure maple tree and logs? It is my first chainsaw ever and I had great pleasure this last weekend. What is the best bar dimension and which kind of chain should I use? Also, is there any modification and can do to upgrade the power or tweek something else?
Thanks
Nicolas

One mod is take out the screen in the muffler and pry open the exhaust deflectors a bit, you have to retune it then.
I run a 16" bar .325 RM chain. Plenty of pep!
Keep an eye on your bar oil, my MS250 had a problem pumping sufficient oil to the bar right from new. I stripped it down and followed all the shop manual instructions to clean it out and everything is fine now. Someone else had oiling issues too, so check everytime you use it that you're getting enough oil to the bar:

Ms 250

Congrats Nick! :rock: Enjoy your saw, I run a 16" bar with RS chain on mine...seems to work well. What's your next one going to be? See you around the site.

Best Regards,
OLY-JIM

Thanks for all your great comments.
I'll work with it all summer and fall and I'll keep you posted on my experience.
Thanks again!
Nick

Back