stihl ms 260pro 24" bar and chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timberrat

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
what is the better bar chain package
.375 full skip non safety
.325 full skip non safety
i am looking for power plus reach
i am cutting ponderosa pine 22" butt average diameter
the 20" stock bar and chain just :chainsaw:
log earth first then we will the others
loggers rule

Im running a 24" bar with full skip .375, 0.50 round ground chisel on my 026 PRO for falling smaller trees and it does OK( tends to be alittle grabby, and you really have to watch the tip all the time for kickback), just keep the R's up.
If you are going to be cutting firewood or poles and doing alot of reaching, which will use more tip action then you would be better off to go with at least semi skip chipper or better yet full comp chisel .375 0.50.
My 2-cents and a nickle, will get you a cup of coffee!:D

TR, When working in AK. One company used 031 with 28" full skip .375 for spruce. Worked okay, like posted above a little grabby. What I found was to keep the rakers at more like .015 to .020. Still cut good for the power you have but helped grabbing. We did a lot of limbing, keep the saw at full thottle.
That said my choice would be a 361 or 440. But it could be done with the 260.

Mike Maas said:
Keep the 24" bar and replace the saw.
A 24" bar on an 260 is like treeco trying to wear a magnum. It might work, but it's not a good fit.:laugh:

+1

Why you gotta pick on treeco? LOL. I about spit my drink on the screen with that one :laugh:

TreeCo said:
+2.

I have a 20" bar on mine but that is only for the reach it affords while limbing. I never cut much over 12" wood with an 026, it just doesn't have the power.

Almost all the 026's sold out here have 20 inch 3/8... A bunch have 24's.. for walking downed fir (etc) logs and trimming...

Must be a west cost thing, because a ms 260 with a 24" bar would be useless in any type of hard wood or soft wood in my area. I cnat imagine the balance would be too hot either.

bwalker said:
Must be a west cost thing, because a ms 260 with a 24" bar would be useless in any type of hard wood or soft wood in my area. I cnat imagine the balance would be too hot either.

Definitely a west coast "conifer" thing.

Balance (of the saw) isn't an issue when you are walking a log - the saw is pointing almost straight down. And the branches are seldom are more than 4 inches diameter.

Back