• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Stihl Ms 260's for sale

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millerhill520

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone:

Due to my wife having a terminal illness, I have decided it's time to considerably downsize my saw collection. I own a tree/firewood and sawmill business, and I worked at stihl on the side so I could learn saw repair when I was younger. I was a tech at a local shop for about 5 years, and then the shop closed and I bought the entire inventory out.

Right now, I am going over all my saws and fixing them, with intent to sell at least half. There will be about 25-30 over the next few months. I am starting with the smaller ones, and will work up to the 660's and 3120's at the end. There is going to be a ton of em.

I just pulled my Ms 260's and tore down and built 4 of them. I have 2 completely done right now, and ready for sale. Here's a list of what I did, and what they are:

Saw 1: Ms 260 pro.
Tore saw down to case, power washed case and tank
Re lubed lower bearings, checked crank etc.
full Oem gasket set, seals case gasket etc.
New fuel line and filter
New pulse line
New air filter
New clutch
New rings
Vacuum pressure test
Honed cylinder piston was good (see pics)
New air filter cover
Swapped top cover for a better top cover (old one had muffler melt)
Swapped rear muffler half for an open style, no baffle.
Rebuilt Walbro carb with Oem kit complete.
16" .325 bar, and I made 2 chains, they are low vibe, only because I have a 100' roll from the shop. Still, they are new chains, use em and abuse em!
I am running a tank through the saw now, making final carb adjustments

This saw is a decomp cylinder saw, and it is an adjustable oil pump. The pro sticker is not on the top cover. It still retains all the pro characteristics though. I can show you a pic of he old cylinder cover with the sticker if you'd like, but the replacement was in way better shape.

The saw runs awesome. Nice light saw, good power, and ready to go. Of course, everyone knows the 261 is about 500 and more for whatever size bar you choose.

I want 280.00 for the saw. I'll ship it as well of course, but that's extra.

Saw 2
Same thing, it was a Ms 260 pro
Tore down power washed, re greased and checked bearings and crank
Full Oem gasket set
Vacuum pressure test
New fuel line filter
New air filter
New pulse line
Open rear muffler, not the baffle one
New rings
Cylinder honed, piston was good
No decomp valve, I removed it because leak down showed it was losing compression replaced with a plug
Rebuilt carb with Oem Walbro kit
The adjustable oil pump was seized. The only replacement I had was a fixed non adjustable high flow pump. I used that, and it is driven off of crank. These ones oil while the saw is idling, and will puddle up. This saw was a pro, the difference between pro and regular was the adjustable oil pump and decomp vaLve. I can include a sprocket and drive gear if the buyer wants to replace the oil pump to make it adjustable again. The case is a pro case, so it has the hole on the bottom for the adjuster if you desire it. This oumonwkrks great though.

I am currently running a tank through this one as well. Just bucking some logs for the processor. Ping final carb adjustments, which is inky the low anyway. This one didn't get a new clutch, but it has the same. A 16" farm bias bar, used, and 2 new low vibe .325 chains.

240.00 for this one, plus shipping is extra if I have to ship it.

I'll sell both of them for 500.00 as a pair. Both saw have already had the rings set in from testing, and I sat them overnight in cardboard. No leaks, no oil puddles, etc. all good. These are both really nice saws.

I can't seem to figure out how to post pics, but I have pics of the saws finished, as well as the pistons and. Cylinders and parts as I put it together. Send me your email, and I'll send em to you of you want to see them. I can clear acreage, so a crane job, saw a barn for you, rebuild a diesel or a chainsaw, but I can't do pics on this site. Awful huh?

I have a third one for sale soon as well, I am waiting for another carb kit, and I haven't found a bar yet in my saw shop, so I am either waiting for a bar, or I may sell it as just the power head. It will be run and tuned of course first.

After these go out the door, I'll be working in the 361's and the 441's. All saws will be gone through top to bottom. Then the 036 saws, and yeah, I have 31 of em, those are our crews' favorite all around limbing and general saws. I wanted to give the arborist site guys first crack at em before I sent em to eBay. Good pro series saws that are ready for working.

If you've read this far, thanks for reading, send me a message if you want pics and more info.

Hey there,

Really sorry to hear of your wife's illness. I can't imagine what that's like.

Those sound like stellar deals on the 260s. I bet someone will snap them up at that price. I'll definitely be looking for your posts when you're working on the 036s. I have one so far, and it's definitely a favorite of mine as well.

Hey,
Thank you guys. I guess I mentioned my wife's cancer because it's on the top of my mind all the time, every time. Kind of a tragic story how we found out she had colon cancer in her liver, and now spreading elsewhere, but that's that. I appreciate the replies, it makes me feel like tree guys get it. Not hanging it up yet... just scaling back. Fixing and rebuilding the saws let's me sit with her and spend time with her when I'm not cuttin trees. Splitting my days to do it.

Yeah, these saws are great saws. I ran 260 number 1 today and I am reminded why I have about 50 saws. It ran so friggen good, I want to keep it..... but it's time to downsize....

I was a tech for a few years at stihl. So all my saws will be put together right. I am using up my used parts supplies, which I have boxes and boxes... but if the parts aren't in good working condition, they won't be used. It came to me that posting them on arborist site may get some saws sold off, but also provide someone in the tree business with a good saw for less than what we all pay for em new. I know how narrow the margin can be in our work...

I'll keep you posted on the 036's Ryan's milling. I got hooked on em years ago, and started collecting them. I habe a ton of em. I never got into the 361's near as much, due to the soft cases and the 5 I had all had case damage somewhere. But the 036's I have owned have. Never broken or cracked up a case. After I gift one to each of my crew guys, and a few family members, I should have about 7-9 to sell. They will be coming soon!

Thanks again for those replies. I really appreciate it

Sorry to hear than and you and your wife are in my family's prayers. My older sister had colon cancer and she was the youngest to be diagnosed with her type. It's heartbreaking but you spend every moment you can because life is short anyways. I'll be watching your deals and hope the best for your family. God bless

Stay strong brother. My wife's mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer 8 years ago. She's still going strong. You Sound like a good guy to think about others during this difficult time. I'm sure you'll have no problem selling these saws here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Again guys, I appreciate it. The support is great.

My wife is 37. She was 6 months pregnant when she got really sick. We had twin girls born at 6 months, and they only survived about 2 weeks. Their one year anniversary was this last Sunday. Then On Monday, we got the news that my wife's colon cancer is growing in the liver again, and has spread to her lungs. Pretty crummy news to swallow for us, but we are still laughing and planning some trips, etc.. living life.

Cease232, that's really great news about 8 years! wow, that would be awesome if she had 8 years!

Cancer sucks, and it doesn't have any definition of who it attacks. My wife never smoked, doesn't drink, doesn't do drugs. It doesn't matter, when it comes it comes. It seems to be quite an epidemic these days.

Lone star stihl, that stinks. Youngest to be diagnosed. I was shocked when I started learning more and more about women with colon cancer, pregnant women with it, etc... my heart goes out to all of the knew who have to deal with the consuming it has.

If anyone needs some advice in repairs or what it for stihls, send me a message. Chainsaws are something that keeps me distracted. I am hooked on em....

Thanks again everyone.

Welcome Miller!

just got through a little over 12 weeks of staying at home with my wife - severe depressive episode which she finally pulled out of about 2 weeks ago. During that time, I got to contemplate my life without her, mostly confident that she would return to her old self, once we found the right treatment regimen. We did. My worst fears did not come true, and I am quite glad I have her, for maybe another 19 years (first 19th anniversary coming in a few weeks). I can imagine the pain you are feeling, knowing the end will come, far sooner than you both had ever hoped. I have had my mother-in-law under hospice care in my house, and was there when she passed. Even so, there were moments of solace and even some joy as she stayed with us for her final 5 months. I offer my very best wishes to both of you, that you may find occasional happiness in the time remaining, even if it is to remember your best days together.

I'm very sorry to hear about your wife. Cancer sucks big time and unfortunately it has affected some of my family and friends as well. Enjoy the time you spend with her. Best of luck with your sales. -- Luke

Sorry to hear about your wife, sending thoughts and prayers!

Good luck with the sales! I will be keeping my eye open as well and hopefully I can help you out.

I just wanted to take a second to post this for members. I have received tons of inquiries regarding the saws, and I thank you. But, I want to clarify something. I am not selling the saws because I am desperate to raise funds for my situation regarding my wife. I have received a lot of emails that lean to that as being the case.

I mentioned her because as I can see many understand by their awesome replies of support and their personal experiences, that she is heavy on my mind and is the reason why I decided to scale back on what I do. I hope I didn't make it confusing when I posted, maybe connotations I was in desperate need and wanted some life lines. I wasn't meaning it to sound like I was fishing for charity or anything, or I am folding in my business, it's not this way at all.

My motivation for selling the saws is because I have a "sea" of stihls in my shop, like 50-60 that range from these 260's, all the way up to a few 3120 huskys. I decided not long after her diagnosis that I wanted to be more minimalistic in everything, and by taking a few days a week to just sit down and be with her while going over one of these saws top to bottom, I can feel like I am working, but we also get to be right with each other and talk, eat lunch, etc... otherwise, I am out in the field cutting trees, taking more jobs, filling my week, etc... so, now I am able to split my week up and do both. So, I am just letting everyone know about the saws because when us arborist have to buy a new one, it's a huge chunk of change. And I know that these saws are gone over top to bottom, and will be a really dependable saw for the industry. That's all.

one thing I didn't expect was a lot of the replies above. It is great to read them, and great to have members share their personal experiences, even though each of them are very sad. Reading them made me realize I certainly ain't alone in what's happened, and seeing other guys in the tree business who who can keep on cutting trees and working as hard as we all do makes me feel pretty damn proud. Thank you to everyone who replied to the thread, I think it generally helps all of us in a certain way.

I just wanted to take a second to post this for members. I have received tons of inquiries regarding the saws, and I thank you. But, I want to clarify something. I am not selling the saws because I am desperate to raise funds for my situation regarding my wife. I have received a lot of emails that lean to that as being the case.

I mentioned her because as I can see many understand by their awesome replies of support and their personal experiences, that she is heavy on my mind and is the reason why I decided to scale back on what I do. I hope I didn't make it confusing when I posted, maybe connotations I was in desperate need and wanted some life lines. I wasn't meaning it to sound like I was fishing for charity or anything, or I am folding in my business, it's not this way at all.

My motivation for selling the saws is because I have a "sea" of stihls in my shop, like 50-60 that range from these 260's, all the way up to a few 3120 huskys. I decided not long after her diagnosis that I wanted to be more minimalistic in everything, and by taking a few days a week to just sit down and be with her while going over one of these saws top to bottom, I can feel like I am working, but we also get to be right with each other and talk, eat lunch, etc... otherwise, I am out in the field cutting trees, taking more jobs, filling my week, etc... so, now I am able to split my week up and do both. So, I am just letting everyone know about the saws because when us arborist have to buy a new one, it's a huge chunk of change. And I know that these saws are gone over top to bottom, and will be a really dependable saw for the industry. That's all.

one thing I didn't expect was a lot of the replies above. It is great to read them, and great to have members share their personal experiences, even though each of them are very sad. Reading them made me realize I certainly ain't alone in what's happened, and seeing other guys in the tree business who who can keep on cutting trees and working as hard as we all do makes me feel pretty damn proud. Thank you to everyone who replied to the thread, I think it generally helps all of us in a certain way.
How do I PM you? I don't know how. I want a couple saws you have

Let me say, you are a BADASS my friend, I wish you lived close to me, drinks would be on me!!!!!

I don't know you, I am so, so , SO VERY sorry for your situation.....I have an 18 month old girl(daddy's Angel!!!!) and I can not image something tragic happening like you are dealing with....keep busy, but continue spending time with your family, as you have been.....when something like this happens, it makes a fella realize material things like saws, cars, houses, and MONEY are WORTHLESS!!!!!

I completely understand what you mean, you ain't asking for anything my friend, it's great that there are a lot of great people on this site to talk to and keep your mind away from depression.....also you will sell some saws here for sure...

I wish I had spare money to buy a saw from you....if you find a 036 or another saw that needs some work, I may be interested....

Good luck buddy I hope nothing but the best for your family!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back