Stihl MS 261 Carb Limiters Caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heller

Reaction score
Howdy Folks,

I have had a MS 261 for a couple years
now, and have avoided messing with the limiter caps on the carb because they are of the metal variety (photo attached) instead of the simple red plastic kind. I have a 461 and the limiters were easy to remove and take the tabs off. But this is a different beast. Does anyone have any recommendations concerning the removal or defeat of these metal limiter caps? I live at 7000 ft and cut wood up to 10000 ft, so having full adjustment of this carb is imperative. I appreciate any input, thank you!

c432de6e961527ac1b486937c589ff96.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

use a sheet rock screw,screw it in and use pliers to pull them off

Thats what I do for the plastic ones but have not heard confirmation that that is still non-destructive solution for this kind. Have you done it before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used the drywall screw method on my 261, and it popped right off without any damage. At sea level, it needed another 1/8 turn out past the stop. At 7-10k, I'd venture a guess yours is already fat.

Don’t try popping them out with a drywall screw, it can render the cap useless
I've done quite a few that way without issue. Popped the limiter cap off and snapped it back on in a new position. You just have to be a little careful. Took all of 30 seconds.

I've done quite a few that way without issue. Popped the limiter cap off and snapped it back on in a new position. You just have to be a little careful. Took all of 30 seconds.
I’ve been into several that the owner tried taking them out and they were broken. The cap just flopped around doing nothing when adjusted. So rather than having to epoxy the caps to the jets or make new caps on the lathe, it was easier to drill the limiter.

Even if you popped them off, the limiter is still in place. My purpose was to defeat the limiter itself.

I’ve been into several that the owner tried taking them out and they were broken. The cap just flopped around doing nothing when adjusted. So rather than having to epoxy the caps to the jets or make new caps on the lathe, it was easier to drill the limiter.

Even if you popped them off, the limiter is still in place. My purpose was to defeat the limiter itself.

You can bypass the whole cap and limiter with the stihl tool to adjust the screw. And/or the right allen to get in there.

A few clicks rich and ta-da.

But...the cap is obviously still restricted in it's movement, it's just in a new range of adjustment on the screw.

Back