STIHL MS 270/271

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the fast reply, its a 271c with a scored piston, its not going to be my main saw as I have others, its for cutting logs, don't think a new piston/rings will work, as you know these cylinders are not that serviceable, maybe a 261 cylinder kit would work that's 44.7 it's just that 271 ones are very expensive,

"Not that serviceable"?

It seems common for people to remove alum transfer from clamshell cylinders. I recently did a ms291.

The 261 you mentioned will be of no help...that is a mag case pro saw.

I suggest posting pics of your cylinder.

Roy

Honest question, what difference does the bore make if you are changing the piston and the cylinder?

Aren't the MS270 and MS271 built on the same crankcase?

Per the Stihl website:
"The MS 271 FARM BOSS® replaces the mighty MS 270 with a saw that’s loaded with features and technology."

Stihl is not known for creativity when upgrading their models.

One may move to MS291 P&C on a MS271 saw.

My understanding is the move from 270 to 271 was a major change...not at all like the 026 to 260.

I have been using the sandpaper method, rather than acid, for a while. Homemade arbor and variable speed Dewalt drill. Easy-peasey. And, you end up with an OEM jug.

If you go to a 291 P&C, note there are two styles of intake. The early bolt-on and the late clamp-on. I imagine one, rather than the other, will be more compatible with the 271 intake.

I have a 271 that got hit with another saw a few times sitting on the other side of the log. It is really rough looking but runs good if you’re interested?

My understanding is the move from 270 to 271 was a major change...not at all like the 026 to 260.

I have been using the sandpaper method, rather than acid, for a while. Homemade arbor and variable speed Dewalt drill. Easy-peasey. And, you end up with an OEM jug.

Thanks for the information its appreciated regards David.

Yes, but is the MS291 kit any less expensive than the MS271? I'd imagine it's probably a few dollars more even though it probably has less material in it due to the larger bore of the MS291, LOL.

I've got to study up on that sandpaper method. I have my late uncle's ProMac 700 with some aluminum transfer on the cylinder.

Back