Stihl 011 Av Ignition coil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Mayers

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do hope that someone can help, I need to replace my ignition coil on my Stihl 011, my concern is the on off switch wire, which isn't shown on compatible ignition coil packs, can anyone help please regards David.

Hi David,
Are you saying the coil has no way to short it to ground? All coils I have ever worked with had a spade terminal to short out the curcuit to ground. Do you have a pic of the coil you are asking about?

Thanks for your reply it's much appreciated herewith a video of my coil module, also you may see there is an small silver plate stihl 1113 400 100 part number the wire attached to it is attached to the coil, the other wire is I think live, which ia attached to a plastic holder on the motor casing, the sliding on off switch takes it to ground killing the motor, hope that I am not confusing you, regards David.

Attachments

• 20240407_185627.mp4
    17.6 MB
I think your setup has one of those chips that replace a points/condenser setup and one of the wires from it connects to the coil, the other is a the one destined for a ground out switch. Does your saw have a holder for it to insert into.? The second wire with the round ring would be the one that grounds the coil, possibly under a mounting screw.

http://thebakeliteradio.com/sawspares.com/009010011WorkshopManual.pdf

Thanks for your reply, this set came from my 011av, done a multimeter test with no positive reading, the points condenser setup fits onto one of the mounting screws, I am trying to find a replacement module that does not break the bank, as oem is not an option, any suggestions appreciated, regards thanks David.

I believe the same coil set is used on the 009, 010 and 011 saws. should be some junked saws out there as many 009 saws were junked when oil pump parts became scarce, just recently there has been an individual in Germany making re-pop parts for the oilers.

Yes, that metal can is a ignition chip used to replace points and condenser setups.
Right, so, that's where the kill wire should go, if I recall. No need for one on the coil then, right? I'm too worn out from watching the eclipse to go pull my 012 out and look. I replaced the coil, etc, a couple years ago.

Right, so, that's where the kill wire should go, if I recall. No need for one on the coil then, right? I'm too worn out from watching the eclipse to go pull my 012 out and look. I replaced the coil, etc, a couple years ago.
That wire will ground out the spark,the round brass furrel on the end of that wire inserts into the ground out switch. I believe the OP is actually looking for a replacement setup for his saw, best I can garner from his posts so far. That would be a coil from a former points condenser saw, he could likely reuse his ignition chip if it is still good, I cannot tell from his previous posts.

I recently bought seals for the oil pump from on eBay for the Stihl 011Av. Here is a link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18605492...8YPDNK&hash=item2b51bcd040:g:6J4AAOSwnrxkJW7Q
Thanks for the message, yes this saw is an 011, also thanks for the oiler info, am ok on those, there seems to be quite a few variants on the module, will have to keep looking. alternatively strip it for parts, a pity as have spent a lot of time on the cosmetics, pull start, carb kit, compression good, etc, regards thanks David

Thanks for the message, yes this saw is an 011, also thanks for the oiler info, am ok on those, there seems to be quite a few variants on the module, will have to keep looking. alternatively strip it for parts, a pity as have spent a lot of time on the cosmetics, pull start, carb kit, compression good, etc, regards thanks David
Hi David
It would be a shame to strip it for parts after all your effort. I think they are great chainsaws for their weight and power for light pruning. I bought the following chip years back for something else ( a Allen Oxford Scythe). The eBay seller is as follows: it will not break the bank! let me know how you get on.
https://shop.saegenspezi.de/ignition-chip-fits-Stihl-009-010-011-012-015

Hi David
It would be a shame to strip it for parts after all your effort. I think they are great chainsaws for their weight and power for light pruning. I bought the following chip years back for something else ( a Allen Oxford Scythe). The eBay seller is as follows: it will not break the bank! let me know how you get on.
https://shop.saegenspezi.de/ignition-chip-fits-Stihl-009-010-011-012-015
Thanks for the message and information, I am at last with your help sorting this out, I only found out this morning that the chip does unscrew from the harness, now I need to find the coil/module where I can hopefully attach it to b y wiring, Thanks for your suggestion, its just the coil that needs replacing regards David.

I think your setup has one of those chips that replace a points/condenser setup and one of the wires from it connects to the coil, the other is a the one destined for a ground out switch. Does your saw have a holder for it to insert into.? The second wire with the round ring would be the one that grounds the coil, possibly under a mounting screw.

http://thebakeliteradio.com/sawspares.com/009010011WorkshopManual.pdf
Good day David here again, thanks for the attachment, yes mine has the separate "pointless module" which mounts on to the coil screw, the live wire goes to the cut out switch, so I can remove the module which is ok its the coil that is the problem, issue is to find a coil where I can use the module., regards thanks David.

Thanks for the message and information, I am at last with your help sorting this out, I only found out this morning that the chip does unscrew from the harness, now I need to find the coil/module where I can hopefully attach it to b y wiring, Thanks for your suggestion, its just the coil that needs replacing regards David.
Here a coil from Germany to get that lovely chainsaw going again.
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/18358070890...MI663wy7S1hQMVKZpQBh3HPQ6TEAQYBCABEgLzXPD_BwE

Thanks for your message, unfortunately this type of coil/module setup won't work, as there needs to be an extra wire coming from the coil to which the pointless module is attached, this is for purposes of a wire being connected to the body of the motor, against which the on/off switch slider shorts out when in the off position, the other wire from the module goes to earth, hence I need an oem type setup but not at 81 Euros' thanks regards David.

Latest posts

Back