Stihl MS 270?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom B.

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I picked up a used Stihl today. Seller said he thinks it's a MS 260. Searching around on the web I doubt that. From what I can find this looks like a MS 270, not a 270 C or farm/ranch boss.
Differences I notice from other Stihls are:
- gap between the air housing & engine cover
- the gap is angled, not straight like in other models
- decompression valve
- flip style oil & gas caps
- all black front handle
- 2 color rear handle
- bar bolts & not quick adjusts
- depression around the bar bolts is straight, no dimples between the bar nuts
- air filter is the funky angled cloth, not the ED2 or whatever air filter that is called
- the air filter cover comes off with a dial, not a lever that you flip
- it has a bulge on the top, others I've seen are flat

Something else I can't figure out is the Winter/Summer switch, lever? Where it shows the icons for summer & winter there isn't anything I can see in all the dirt that actually moves. Is something broken off, missing?

What model of Stihl is this? It starts right away, runs & idles well, but if/when I need parts I'm FUBAR ordering online.
P.S. I have the serial # off of it. yet another thing that confuses me. Looking around on this site & the web, the 9 digit serial # starts with 2633.

Please & TY!
The McColloch 3516 that I had already doesn't idle or run very well & with the wet snow/freezing rain storm we just had this weekend I looked for a good used chainsaw on the fly. This is what I got for $200 Canadian.20191014_195746.jpg 20191014_195702.jpg

Kind of looks like an ms280.

MS270 and MS280 are essentially the same, but yours is a MS270.
Never registered.

Product Type : Chain Saws
Model : MS270
Serial Number : 263323493

Yeah, kind of looks like 270, 280, the guy I bought it from said it was a MS 260, "maybe a 291 (& he chuckled while he said) it's a better deal for you if it is".
Probably 4 hours or so on the net searching vids, pictures, posts, forums & here I am lol.

Harley.... Thank-you very much! I'm out of the dark (so to speak)

Now to look into that winter summer switch that doesn't seem to be there. WTF (What's That For) I know what it's for, obviously, but there isn't anything there that you move to make the carb draw air from the muffler area.
Also, MM on a 270? hmmm yes/no/maybe so?!

$200 Canadian ($151 USD). I 'think' that's a decent deal for a running 270.
Thoughts on 1st things to do with it?

Muffler mod to get a little extra power

Thanks! Going to look around & see what size holes, where on the muffler etc.
Any oils, cleaners what have you to avoid with Stihls? I don't want to spray things down with let's say brake cleaner & people say that's the worst thing to use. Or a different brand of bar oil, 2 stroke oil that's a big no-no.

Cleaning plastics and such I’ve had good results using a brand “Zep” from tractor supply and they may have it at Home Depot as well. Get the degreased and let it sit for a few minutes then wipe. Then I’ve also used a plastic restorer to help bring some color out. I have an old ms270 in a box waiting for me to one day rebuild.

Cleaning plastics and such I’ve had good results using a brand “Zep” from tractor supply and they may have it at Home Depot as well. Get the degreased and let it sit for a few minutes then wipe. Then I’ve also used a plastic restorer to help bring some color out. I have an old ms270 in a box waiting for me to one day rebuild.

Thanks. I know this thing is dirtier than a $5... ok we won't go there. It's dirty, I brought it to a service center to ask where the lever or plate was for the summer winter air routing. The mechanic at the service center immediately touched the housing under the air cap & filter & said WOW this is all going in the engine, it runs? I'm thinking maybe that funky air filter is a bit out of whack or the rubber seal is fubar, because the filter itself was pretty clean.
No harsh chemical cleaners, thanks.
And GL with the rebuild!

20191026_121811.jpg 20191026_122452.jpg Took the muffler off, spark plug out and covers to look around.
Time for a cleaning. Looks like the previous owner hasn't done that in a while.
Plug was a little wet, not carboned up. Regapped it to 0.028. Piston was clear of any scoring. Spark screen was unexpected lol.
Had to adjust the carb a bit afterwards. idled & ran like crap after a bit of cleaning & re-gapping the plug.
20191026_121811.jpg 20191026_122452.jpg

Attachments

• 20191026_182138.jpg
    20191026_182138.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 11
Looking around the 270 I notice this pin on the bottom. Any idea what it's for? I was thinking part of the AV. It doesn't look to have had anything on it or around it in the pocket it sits in.
Looking at the IPL all it shows is Pin and I'm not even sure this is it.
Just a conversation piece? lol
20191204_121411.jpg

Hey Pioneer, I was thinking of that but what could a person 'align' with 1/4" space around it? The bottom is almost flush with the underside of the saw. Odd little conversation piece.

Oh ok, it limits the movement of the handle in relation to the body.

Latest posts

Back