Stihl MS 361 Breakin

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jramstead

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I just bought a Stihl MS361 today. I asked the owner of the place I bought it if I needed to worry about any breakin period and he said use it like you've had it. I lucked out and found this site and after reading some of your posts I'm not so sure this guy knew what he was talking about. I would appreciate some input as I'm going after some wood tomorrow. I only cut about 6 or 7 cords a year so I probably got way more saw than I need but I believe you get what you pay for. Thanks
John Ramstead

I agree, Just use it, and saw those logs!!! Just do not do anything crazy like revving it for a long time. Don't run it WOT (wide open throttle) for long durations.

EDIT: I meant do not WOT when you are not in the log. When you are in the log, you should always run it wide open.

Welcome John. Check it out with the little wrench that comes with the saw, screws tend to rattle loose on new saws after a few tanks. Take it back to the dealer and have him set it with a tach after 10 tanks, my dealer did this with the Huskies I bought off him.

clearance said:
.... Take it back to the dealer and have him set it with a tach after 10 tanks, my dealer did this with the Huskies I bought off him.
That is about the same as both my Husky and Stihl dealer said when I bought my saws - only they said 10 litres and not tanks....

I think the 361 needs a bit more than 10 tanks to fully break in.

Congratulations with your selection of saw, and have fun! :greenchainsaw:

Everybody seems to like the 361, except Clearance (but he was decent enough to not mention it in the post above).:clap:

I have the 036 Pro, which I believe the MS 361 replaced, with some improvements. I took it a little easier than normal with the first three tanks, rechecked the mixture at 10 tanks. Been using it a lot for five yr. and the piston, etc., looks really good. I did it that way at my dealer's recommendation, might not matter.

The 361 isn't too much saw for 7 cords a year. Also depends on how big the trees you're cutting are and how big a bar you need...also might last you longer than a smaller saw. You did good.

I took it easy on the first three tanks; did not run it with wide open throttle out of the cut. The book that came with mine said it reaches full power after 15 tanks. After three tanks, you should be able to check the rpm settings at idel and full throttle if you have a chainsaw rpm meter.

The factory carb settings are good for lower elevations; may require an 1/8th turn in if you are 5000' or higher. Just don't run it too lean.

I run both of mine at 40:1 fuel mixture with high test gasoline and a really good brand of 2 cycle oil.

Enjoy it, its a great saw.

Thankyou everyone for your help. Had kind of a learning curve with it today.
Flooded it first thing off. Glad I had my box store 20" homelite to cut with till
it dried out. When I got it running it cut through wood like a hot knife thru butter. Had a little trouble with it quiting when idling. Made a small adjustment and it ran better. Think I just need to get to know the saw a little better. It is a real sweet saw, I'm impressed.
Thanks again John Ramstead:chainsaw:

jramstead said:
Thankyou everyone for your help. Had kind of a learning curve with it today.
Flooded it first thing off. Glad I had my box store 20" homelite to cut with till
it dried out. When I got it running it cut through wood like a hot knife thru butter. Had a little trouble with it quiting when idling. Made a small adjustment and it ran better. Think I just need to get to know the saw a little better. It is a real sweet saw, I'm impressed.
Thanks again John Ramstead:chainsaw:

You can aways carry a spare plug with you. most time your saw will start by
removing the wet plug , then pull the start cord a few times, install a new plug then restart with out the choke first.
Works for me. Have fun with your new Saw.

I have to start a "lot" of flooded saws. I just hold the throttle wide open and pull away. They almost always start... A spare plug can speed up the process...

Well I would have to say my problems yesterday were operator error.
I read the manual and made an adjustment to the idle per the book .
Also didn't use full choke it started right up and never died once while I bucked up the cord of wood I got yesterday. Actually there is no comparison in the two saws. The Stihl is an animal the little homelite will get the job done if you have lots of time. No comparrison. Just a learning curve.:cool:

Back