Stihl Ms 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigNeck

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Question... I have a chance to buy a Ms361 20'' bar 3 chains $300.00.. It's in good used condition, except the orange covers are dull. Runs,Idle,Oil as suppose to. New carb, piston looks good. I know the guy that does all the maintenance on it, it's only been used buy a homeowner, and it will be used by me for only firewood to!! good price r a high or pinions on Ms 361?? sorry I do not have any pics..

Thanks cliff

If someone knowledgeable says it is functionally fine, then I would say $300 is okay for what some think is one of the finest saws ever produced by Stihl. I paid $450 for mine but it was almost pristine. Ron

Without pics it's hard to say if you're getting a good deal but if it is in good shape you can't go wrong with a 361! It's a lighter, smaller, higher reving version of the 362. Take care if it and it won't let you down.

If you want to see how it stacks up read this thread.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/performance-outdoors-60cc-comparison.273905/

But don't take my word, ask Windthrown what he thinks. Maybe the 361's biggest critic. :D

Shoot, even SawTroll likes the 361!

Question... I have a chance to buy a Ms361 20'' bar 3 chains $300.00.. It's in good used condition, except the orange covers are dull. Runs,Idle,Oil as suppose to. New carb, piston looks good. I know the guy that does all the maintenance on it, it's only been used buy a homeowner, and it will be used by me for only firewood to!! good price r a high or pinions on Ms 361?? sorry I do not have any pics..

Thanks cliff

Have you decided what to do about this saw?

Hah! Someone summoned me to a 361 thread?

I would say $300 is a good price if it is not a beater and if the carb (and other parts) are not cheap Chicom crap. 290s go for $300 and up around here and they are way less of a saw. You can still get an OEM carb for pretty cheap on Ebay. As for that saw model, I think its the best Stihl ever made, along with the 044/440, with the 026/260 and 036/360 right behind them. The 066/660 is up there as well.

Also the Troll only likes the EU version of the 361 and not the US 361. Different jug and muffler. I disagree of course, but what do I know. I only have three of them.

I bet the troll has never run the U.S. version, instead he's only seen that it makes .2 hp less on paper. o_O Do a muff mod and adjust the carb and you'll gain .5 hp! :D

I'm sorry I haven't gotten back to y'all, I did go to the shop to see the ms361 it's in nice shape, besides the orange covers being dull, the outer fuel tank area brownish. The owner of the saw is out of town till this weekend I was told. The saw is at a service center, but I have chatted with the owner a few times, lives around the corner from me & he just bought a 362.
This is the only pic I have on my phone!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 36
no that looks fairly clean. Ive seen a couple of those that were thrashed listed for not much less near me. Again, take care of it if you buy it and that will cut a lot of wood for you for a long time.

For three bills I would buy that if its all OEM. They are designed to run/last for 2,000 hours. That looks like a pro ES bar on it too. Bonus! The bar may have been run with too little oil. Crank the oiler up all the way.

Latest posts

Back