Stihl MS-390, new / unused

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you win the award of having the most retarded reason not to try the greatest product of all time. husqvarna FTW :numberone: what made you choose stihl dano? for most it's either what their daddy taught them or they are german. i know for a fact it is because of one of those things. :D

Not really sure. It (Stihl) just came to me in a dream a very long time ago. Kind of like an epiphany I suppose. I just assumed it was a sign from the saw Gawds.

I had an 039. After a muffler mod, the saw kept up with my buddies 038Mag, no problem. The saw is dying for a muff mod from the factory. It breathes out of two tiny 3x8 mm slits.

It's a good saw, but pricing should be based on your intention.

I sold a cherry 039 with a clean Stihl 20" bar for $275 and had a tough time doing so. They go for more in other places.

I'd say $250-300 if you're gonna keep it. It's a clammy, but I doubt you'll ever be opening it.

I had an 039. After a muffler mod, the saw kept up with my buddies 038Mag, no problem. The saw is dying for a muff mod from the factory. It breathes out of two tiny 3x8 mm slits.

It's a good saw, but pricing should be based on your intention.

I sold a cherry 039 with a clean Stihl 20" bar for $275 and had a tough time doing so. They go for more in other places.

I'd say $250-300 if you're gonna keep it. It's a clammy, but I doubt you'll ever be opening it.

I had an MS290 for 9 years. I did a MM, and sold it in May for $350 plus shipping. Had a new 18" Stihl bar and 2 new chains. Sold on eBay to a guy in Michigan. Probably had 3-4 tanks through it. That series has sold a lot of saws for Stihl, I suspect the Husqvarna 455 series haas done the same.

I'll hold your hand, if you need me to...........

I'm just that kind of guy...........

Just to show you how nice of a guy I am, I'm not even going to respond to your offer in an off-beat or sarcastic kind of way, that others might do.

I'll just say thanks.....but no thanks. :)

On this saw, I think 16" is too short of a bar for a 64cc saw. I'd want a 20" on it. If you only cut stuff less than 16" then probably a 50cc saw would be a better option.
That said, this would be something to put on the shelf and look at from time to time. This series is popular and there will be people that want to buy one because they don't like or trust the 391. So I'd be very surprised if it doesn't sell for what he's asking for it. If he came off that price much at all, I'd be getting it if it's something that you want to store or use. If you're not into shelf saws, and don't really have a use for it, then leave it be as there probably wouldn't be much margin in it.

The saw was about $500 new, the chains I'd add $10 each for because they're probably safety chains and the case would be worth about $30 (yeah, some of this stuff costs more)
So if you could get the saw for $50 less than he's asking, you would have a no risk investment because you could always get that back out of it. I sell used ones for $350 with a 16" bar...

Note: this is a later MS390 since it has the decomp valve. Some of the early ones didn't have decomp.

On this saw, I think 16" is too short of a bar for a 64cc saw. I'd want a 20" on it. If you only cut stuff less than 16" then probably a 50cc saw would be a better option.
That said, this would be something to put on the shelf and look at from time to time. This series is popular and there will be people that want to buy one because they don't like or trust the 391. So I'd be very surprised if it doesn't sell for what he's asking for it. If he came off that price much at all, I'd be getting it if it's something that you want to store or use. If you're not into shelf saws, and don't really have a use for it, then leave it be as there probably wouldn't be much margin in it.

The saw was about $500 new, the chains I'd add $10 each for because they're probably safety chains and the case would be worth about $30 (yeah, some of this stuff costs more)
So if you could get the saw for $50 less than he's asking, you would have a no risk investment because you could always get that back out of it. I sell used ones for $350 with a 16" bar...

Note: this is a later MS390 since it has the decomp valve. Some of the early ones didn't have decomp.

I hear what you are saying. The 16" bar is too short, and I don't have any idea as to why someone would go that way. I'm going to keep an eye on it and try again in about a week if it's still for sale.

I don't have any shelf saws, no matter what some others might think or say. I use mine when needed. I do like to buy and sell new or nearly new / gently used saws. I steer away from the heavily used stuff as they can be a crap shoot and I'm not much of a gambler, and I'm tired of cleaning up other's messes.

Latest posts

Back