STIHL MS 391

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmyjam

Reaction score
I recently upgraded to a stihl ms 391 but am having alot of issues. When I first start milling it ran great but about 20 seconds in it will barely cut. I have a 25" bar on it currently. I have a brand new chain on it and have also tried a few differentripping chains. Ive only used this saw a few times. At this point my 211c cuts way better. I understand a pro saw or bigger saw would be better but this is what I could afford so any help with this issue is appreciated. Any ideas? Thanks

I really appreciate ADVISE on the described issue. Again if your posting to tell me I need a bigger saw thats not helpful. Im well aware. For what im doing a smaller saw worked great actually. just wanted to upgrade a bit and this is the best I could get. I know something is wrong just not sure what. Thanks all

I really appreciate ADVISE on the described issue. Again if your posting to tell me I need a bigger saw thats not helpful. Im well aware. For what im doing a smaller saw worked great actually. just wanted to upgrade a bit and this is the best I could get. I know something is wrong just not sure what. Thanks all

What are you milling? Real small stuff?

Try using 3/8 picco/lopro chain. It's smaller kerf and will take less power in the cut. You'll need a matching bar and drive sprocket. I use Stihl 63 PMX chain, but it's expensive and hard to find.

https://www.baileysonline.com/stihl-63pmx-3-8-low-profile-ripping-chain.html
https://www.baileysonline.com/woodlandpro-63rp-3-8-low-profile-ripping-chain-wpp-63rp.html

I owned a 391 for awhile, you're asking a boy to do a mans job. You'll be looking for a replacement soon, as the 391 will be dead if you continue trying to mill with it. Theres no fix here, it's a firewood saw. Period.

I have a similar saw in the Husky line. With a 24“ bar, it will bog every time in a big cut. I can’t imagine milling with it . It is a Rancher 65cc.

sell your 391 and go and buy a holzfforma/farmertec g660 online. a 92cc saw will be way better for what your doing and you might come out money ahead as the clone saws are cheap.

Back