Stihl MS 441 ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys! Just looking for info in the way of idiosyncrasies and or reviews of the 441. I picked one up used in great condition and can't find much on them in the way of highs or lows.. I know they had lackluster sales because of who knows why but on paper the saw looks good and seems like a good saw. I did grab a standard carb version so to stay away from older M tronic drama. So anybody have good luck with them or absolutely hate it?? Thanks!!

The first time you work on it your gonna bang your head and say a few choice words to the engineer who designed the saw and tried to reinvent the wheel. For me after working on a couple it’s no big deal. But the first time you will be scratching your head for sure.

The first time you work on it your gonna bang your head and say a few choice words to the engineer who designed the saw and tried to reinvent the wheel. For me after working on a couple it’s no big deal. But the first time you will be scratching your head for sure.
I've taken my 462 down to every single piece and reassembled. That one had me scratching my head saying "why would you...." But then again I have a A&P mech license so I'm used to strange over engineering haha. Other than the way it was put together it seems like a good solid saw.

My 441 is my favorite saw. Ever. That includes the venerable 036 Pro. I don't really know why they get a bad rap, and don't care. Mine has been great. Comfortable to run, good fuel "mileage," smooth running. I've had it since its early days, never an issue. Easiest saw to start I've ever had, since the mid-70s. Great air filtration.

My 441 is my favorite saw. Ever. That includes the venerable 036 Pro. I don't really know why they get a bad rap, and don't care. Mine has been great. Comfortable to run, good fuel "mileage," smooth running. I've had it since its early days, never an issue. Easiest saw to start I've ever had, since the mid-70s. Great air filtration.
I think the design changes just cought the old timers off guard and change is tough for some and it was also the fist of a new generation of saws for them and many of their new saws take from it sorta. I'm excited to run it.

I've had mine for 13 yrs. It is a finicky saw to start and floods easy. I had to put in a Heli coil in it . Now that I know how to not flood it, I'm ok. It is a very good chainsaw. It's small enough and a 16" bar gives it a lot of torque, more than I ever thought it would. It uses very little fuel and I hardly every have to clean the air filter. It's a darn good saw.

Bought my 441 less than 6 month after they hit the market. I have cut lots of wood with mine, only thing I have done to it has been maintenance. It replaced a Poulan 3400 CVA. I can cut a full 8' pickup bed mounded over with less than one tank of fuel with it. with my other saw all I got was Ford courier truck of wood in an afternoon, and then not mounded over. My 441 owes me nothing.

The 441c M-tronic is a rather weird starter when cold. It gives you little warning that it's ready to run. Usually after about four or five pulls it fires rather unexpectedly but seems dead as hammer until then. So, it awakens rather suddenly from a dead sleep. As I mentioned on another thread, I love using a 25" bar and noodle cutting big rounds with it. Seldom if ever does it clog up or bog down.:
1650811774804.jpeg

The 441c M-tronic is a rather weird starter when cold. It gives you little warning that it's ready to run. Usually after about four or five pulls it fires rather unexpectedly but seems dead as hammer until then. So, it awakens rather suddenly from a dead sleep. As I mentioned on another thread, I love using a 25" bar and noodle cutting big rounds with it. Seldom if ever does it clog up or bog down.:
View attachment 983394
Where did you get the log holders? plans? better pictures.

Where did you get the log holders? plans? better pictures.
I made these supports from my own plans that I drew up in my head.. Unfortunately, I never committed that to paper or a drawing file. I use lengths of 2" thick oak (not 1.5"), tapered the ends of the long 16" legs for easy roll up and notch joined them to the short 5" clearance legs. I had some 3/8" steel rod lying around that I threaded the ends to provide more strength and allowed a carrying handle and wall hanging for storage. Here's a better shot:
1650816428370.jpeg
I've actually been criticized for wasting my time making them. Every critic has said that scrap logs or cookies work just as well. I use those when I forget to bring my creation to the wok site. I've never seen these supports sold anywhere. People who like them say I should have gotten a patent, but I never did..

I made these supports from my own plans that I drew up in my head.. Unfortunately, I never committed that to paper or a drawing file. I use lengths of 2" thick oak (not 1.5"), tapered the ends of the long 16" legs for easy roll up and notch joined them to the short 5" clearance legs. I had some 3/8" steel rod lying around that I threaded the ends to provide more strength and allowed a carrying handle and wall hanging for storage. Here's a better shot:

I've actually been criticized for wasting my time making them. Every critic has said that scrap logs or cookies work just as well. I use those when I forget to bring my creation to the wok site. I've never seen these supports sold anywhere. People who like them say I should have gotten a patent, but I never did..
Thats a good thinking & sure you must ve felt rewarding when it helps you, who cares what others said. If you allow i may want to make something similar so i wont be chasing the log lol.

View attachment 983423
I like it!

I like it!
I used them today with some more big ash. They worked once again,. But, I had no camera in the truck to prove it. So, please accept my word that this "invention" works. like it did in April of this year with oak:

My Stihl MS441cm also worked very well, just like it did in May. The saw started on the second pull and never bogged down. I'm going to take it out again this week as soon as the weather looks good. Unfortunately, it's been a steam bath lately.

Attachments

• 1658700907723.jpeg
    1658700907723.jpeg
    247.9 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back