Stihl MS 660 Big Bore First Video and Post Mortum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parrishturf

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This thread was to be about a 660 with big bore kit from Bailey's. Along with a video of it cutting in the same piece of "Punky" wood as the other saws I tested on sunday. I am going to include the video, But I am sory to say I had my first big saw let go. It did not do the typical high pitched squeel followed by total silence, no it went boom, klack, klack, klack. Yes exactly three Klacks and my foot was covered in bar oil. The rod had sawed through the case and oil tank.

OK... so a brand new big bore kit went boom and distroyed the saw. Here is where the story changes from a saw to a great company. I contacted Bailey's customer service. And they are going to review the failure. They also stated that if the failure was due to the piston that they would replace my damaged saw or its parts. I have been involved with customer service for nearly 40 years. I have at times had to extend a warranty for various reasons in order to build a lasting relationship. I never dreamed an online company could offer that kind of service in todays world.

"I do not know what the outcome will be, I will let you know. But, rest assured, Bailey's has my business from now on!"

<iframe title ="Preview" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" frameborder="0" style="width:240px;height:320px;padding:0;background-color:#fcfcfc;" src="https://skydrive.live.com/embedphoto.aspx/Baileys%20Big%20Bore%20660%20Failure/100^_0846.JPG?cid=1eeab322ae16dc89&sc=photos"></iframe><iframe title ="Preview" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" frameborder="0" style="width:320px;height:240px;padding:0;background-color:#fcfcfc;" src="https://skydrive.live.com/embedphoto.aspx/Baileys%20Big%20Bore%20660%20Failure/100^_0862.JPG?cid=1eeab322ae16dc89&sc=photos"></iframe>
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/G20WWK21p24" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I always hated hearing that 'clack, clack, clack' sound. When a rod breaks, you know it, there is no other sound like it. The bloody crank just keeps spinning around poking that broken rod through anything in its way. - I send my commiserations.

I always hated hearing that 'clack, clack, clack' sound. When a rod breaks, you know it, there is no other sound like it. The bloody crank just keeps spinning around poking that broken rod through anything in its way. - I send my commiserations.

Thank you...lay a rose on the grave...

Is this a new BB kit or the old? If it is the old, did you clearance the bottom of the piston and the crankcase?

New NWP with really tight wrist pin clips. I do not understand the clearance issue, but the skirt had no marks nor did the case.

This why I always advise people to use OEM parts if they can afford it. Bailey's is a good bunch, I hope they take of it. Their supplier of these kits should re-emburse them for any expense incurred, that normally how it works. Hate to see you lost a good saw. I'll bet it was tempting to just let go of the saw when she started hammering.

This why I always advise people to use OEM parts if they can afford it. Bailey's is a good bunch, I hope they take of it. Their supplier of these kits should re-emburse them for any expense incurred, that normally how it works. Hate to see you lost a good saw. I'll bet it was tempting to just let go of the saw when she started hammering.

This jug was beautiful, Piston too and obviously 2mm oversize. There was not time to let go, thank goodness it was oil and not blood...

Thats terrible to see bud. I hope they fix you up right on that deal. A flamed out 660 is a big hit to the pocket. It was probably a void in the aluminum that let loose.

I'm REALLY sorry to hear about your saw. You can't get any better customer service than Baileys has. I doubt it had anything to do with your failure, but your saw sounded way too lean. I never heard one blip of 4-stroking in any of the revving.

I'm REALLY sorry to hear about your saw. You can't get any better customer service than Baileys has. I doubt it had anything to do with your failure, but your saw sounded way too lean. I never heard one blip of 4-stroking in any of the revving.

I was thinking the same thing.

Crappy about the saw though.

I think the pictures of the piston crown tell exactly what caused this. What was the squish?

100_0852.JPG

I think the pictures of the piston crown tell exactly what caused this. What was the squish?

100_0852.JPG

Anyone else think it looks like the piston was hitting the cylinder head? Notice the lack of machine marks around the squish band. I'm going to guess that the cylinder was installed without a gasket, which allowed the piston to hit at high RPMs, causing the rod to break, or perhaps the piston first. Just a theory.

Latest posts

Back