Stihl MS194T vs Echo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl User

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a MS194T.
Anybody have experience with this saw and how it compares to a Echo CS-341 or other?
Thanks

Anybody have experience with this saw and how it compares to a Echo CS-341 or other?
Thanks

Have one running alongside 160T, 192T, 2 x 201T's & 200T.

Great little climbing saw, can't compare it with the Echo (having never used one), but it hold's it own. Not a much pizzaz as my well worn 192, which is an animal, but have used it for some very large removals. Much prefer it over the 201's. Run it with 14" bar, 3/8" picco.

Have one running alongside 160T, 192T, 2 x 201T's & 200T.

Great little climbing saw, can't compare it with the Echo (having never used one), but it hold's it own. Not a much pizzaz as my well worn 192, which is an animal, but have used it for some very large removals. Much prefer it over the 201's. Run it with 14" bar, 3/8" picco.

I have a 201t and I mostly use a CS-2511t and a CS-271 becuase they are light = I am older now and have Lymes.
I have cut with all these = in the tree
2511t - 5.2lbs - 25cc
271t - 6.6lbs - 27cc
341t - 7.7lbs - 33cc
355t - 8.2lbs 36cc
194t - 7.3lbs - 30cc
201t - 8.2lbs - 35cc
200t - 7.8lbs - 35cc - unavailable
020avs - 9.7lbs -40cc - retired

So, I never cut with a 194t and would like to know if it has more power then a echo 341t

Would be nice for Echo make the 271t with a 30cc cyl

I have a 201t and I mostly use a CS-2511t and a CS-271 becuase they are light = I am older now and have Lymes.
I have cut with all these = in the tree
2511t - 5.2lbs - 25cc
271t - 6.6lbs - 27cc
341t - 7.7lbs - 33cc
194t - 7.3lbs - 30cc
201t - 8.2lbs - 35cc
200t - 7.8lbs - 35cc - unavailable
020avs - 9.7lbs -40cc - retired

So, I never cut with a 194t and would like to know if it has more power then a echo 341t
So get a 150T and advance the timing and open the muffler.

So get a 150T and advance the timing and open the muffler.

Did that with a 2511t and is my go to saw.
From what I hear from other arborists is that the 2511t outperforms the 150t
With that said, I have not had a 150t in my hands to compare and cut with and because of the price, do not want to experiment.

Too far from me .I have 4 150T's here. IDK I love the Stihls.
Absolutely prefer STIHL above all others but my injuries demand light/power over power/weight.

Had Stihl made the 150t a 28cc saw they would not be able to keep them on the shelf.

We need high quality BB kits for these topper saws.

FYI, common parts are different from the 192, to the 193, to the 194. Any cosmetic damage dealt with going forward, is confusing.

Sticking to your topic, ECHO makes a good chainsaw, across its product line. Husqvarna/Jonsered are a cut above in terms of quality in build. But you Stihl have to.........

The 150 is a tiny, light, durable toy........the 201T's are the road to the future of professional climbers. The new A/V system is beyond forgiving in the event of a fall. Its like Stihl designed them to be dropped.....

I work on alot of saws, from every market, and price point.....Having said all that, MS200T's continue to command, and rightly so, $1,500 ++. (if eBay has any credibility as to current market values, based on historic sales data for the last 22 yrs.)

There may be a good/better/best deal right on this forum?

Thanks
I feel like we talked about this before, but did you gut the insides of the muffler when you modded it on your 2511? IMO, you're leaving power on the table if you don't split the muffler and rip out the divider on it.

I've got a 2511t that I gutted the muffler on and I preferred it to my muffler modded-only 201tcm. It didn't even seem that far down on power compared to the 201, but was quite a bit more responsive. I ended up porting the 201 and it's an incredible saw now, kind of made it a harder decision to choose saws.

I hear you on the weight, I was dealing with some tendonitis in my right elbow most of this winter...at it's worst, I couldn't even run the 201 in the tree. I'm almost all healed up now, but I realized how much I like a lightweight climbing saw.

Full disclosure, I have no experience with the 194. The closest thing I had was the 192, and the 201 and modded 2511 stomp all over it.

I feel like we talked about this before, but did you gut the insides of the muffler when you modded it on your 2511? IMO, you're leaving power on the table if you don't split the muffler and rip out the divider on it.

I've got a 2511t that I gutted the muffler on and I preferred it to my muffler modded-only 201tcm. It didn't even seem that far down on power compared to the 201, but was quite a bit more responsive. I ended up porting the 201 and it's an incredible saw now, kind of made it a harder decision to choose saws.

I hear you on the weight, I was dealing with some tendonitis in my right elbow most of this winter...at it's worst, I couldn't even run the 201 in the tree. I'm almost all healed up now, but I realized how much I like a lightweight climbing saw.

Full disclosure, I have no experience with the 194. The closest thing I had was the 192, and the 201 and modded 2511 stomp all over it.
My 201t sits on the shelf.
i run the 2511t and after limbing the tree i drop down the 2511t and bring up the cs-361p with a 18" bar

All my saws are muf modded.

I drilled right thru the baffle on the 2511t.
But i will take your advice and buy a non-cat muf for the 2511t and then compare them as i have 3

My 201t sits on the shelf.
i run the 2511t and after limbing the tree i drop down the 2511t and bring up the cs-361p with a 18" bar

All my saws are muf modded.

I drilled right thru the baffle on the 2511t.
But i will take your advice and buy a non-cat muf for the 2511t and then compare them as i have 3

I should've bought the non-cat muffler...cutting the stock muffler in half and gutting it was a major PITA. It's quite the challenge welding it back together too.

I put a BIG outlet in mine, bigger than some people think you should put in a saw muffler...my theory is that a little convoluted muffler like that offers little tuning characteristics and only serves to cut down on noise and power. I just try to open it up so it would dump the exhaust out as quickly as possible. Mine runs extremely well and feels nothing like the stock saw. They are kind of a dog in stock form IMO.

I'm usually climbing nice straight conifers, so limb up with the 2511t and cut the spar down until I run out of bar(16" narrow kerf.) When I switch to a rear-handle, it's my ms400.

I've also done it in the past where I'll limb up with the 2511 and then trade it for the 201 if I run out of fuel and still have a bit of limbing left to do. My 2511 can run the 16" bar, but if I only have a bit of limbing left to do, I prefer the 201 for finishing that and then beginning on the spar. That's my only complaint with the 2511, is the fuel capacity.

I should've bought the non-cat muffler...cutting the stock muffler in half and gutting it was a major PITA. It's quite the challenge welding it back together too.

I put a BIG outlet in mine, bigger than some people think you should put in a saw muffler...my theory is that a little convoluted muffler like that offers little tuning characteristics and only serves to cut down on noise and power. I just try to open it up so it would dump the exhaust out as quickly as possible. Mine runs extremely well and feels nothing like the stock saw. They are kind of a dog in stock form IMO.

I'm usually climbing nice straight conifers, so limb up with the 2511t and cut the spar down until I run out of bar(16" narrow kerf.) When I switch to a rear-handle, it's my ms400.

I've also done it in the past where I'll limb up with the 2511 and then trade it for the 201 if I run out of fuel and still have a bit of limbing left to do. My 2511 can run the 16" bar, but if I only have a bit of limbing left to do, I prefer the 201 for finishing that and then beginning on the spar. That's my only complaint with the 2511, is the fuel capacity.

AGREE - i have done exactly this in the past but recently switched to the cs-361p/18 for finnish work.
Mostly hard wood trees over here - Ash killed by China
If wood gets bigger i will switch to my cs-501p or MS261.
If bigger wood then that i send up my 28yr old son with his 461.
i am 63 with a auto injury that weakened me severely and if that were not enough i contracted Lymes when i was 21 = before it was discovered in the medical field.

Back in the 80's we were using the 020avs = 10lb powerhead

Back