Stihl ms200t carburetor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briguy26

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Anyone else had erratic running ms200t saws? I vacuum/pressure tested it and everything was good. It would idle high after it warmed up and the saw would just die. Although it always started right back up. I could also never get it to tune right no matter what the settings. I had a spare 200t carb put it on and it runs like a top handle 200t should run now. I read the 200t carbs accelerator pump is the culprit. Wondering if I can bypass the accelerator pump? Or use an entirely different carb? Suggestions or thoughts from the pros would be much appreciated thanks! My other 200t has the same problems idles high then back down and dies. I guess I'll try the carb first.

To answer your question yes you can bypass that accelerator pump by removing it and filling the hole with JB weld. I myself have never done it because I have never had one of those style carbs and I have many 200's . I am only passing on second hand information but I know it can be done because some people have posted pics on the internet or maybe it was this site on how to do it. MS 200's can also be plagued by other carb problems other than that acc. pump . It was a good idea by the guy who designed it but just didn't work so good.

Lone Wolf is our resident 200 expert he can tell you for sure.

Anyone else had erratic running ms200t saws? I vacuum/pressure tested it and everything was good. It would idle high after it warmed up and the saw would just die. Although it always started right back up. I could also never get it to tune right no matter what the settings. I had a spare 200t carb put it on and it runs like a top handle 200t should run now. I read the 200t carbs accelerator pump is the culprit. Wondering if I can bypass the accelerator pump? Or use an entirely different carb? Suggestions or thoughts from the pros would be much appreciated thanks! My other 200t has the same problems idles high then back down and dies. I guess I'll try the carb first.
You can try the acc pump delete and a rebuild kit and that don't guarantee it will work. You have a decent chance at it. The Huwaii carbs are not around to my knowledge. If this is a 126 Zama you can send it here and i will try to fix it for you.

It definitely was the carburetor that was bad. When I swapped the good carb over the saw ran perfect. Maybe a stupid question but, what is the purpose of the accelerator pump? I'm going to try new kits and clean the bad carbs really well and see what happens. Also going to check the accelerator pumps in each one and see if they look worn.

It definitely was the carburetor that was bad. When I swapped the good carb over the saw ran perfect. Maybe a stupid question but, what is the purpose of the accelerator pump? I'm going to try new kits and clean the bad carbs really well and see what happens. Also going to check the accelerator pumps in each one and see if they look worn.
Acc pump makes it run snappier ,but only to a very minor degree.

Accelerator pumps can be rebuild when they are worn out, but it`s mostly only a fix for some time. Not only the pump piston with it`s rubber ring is worn, also the seat of it is worn and that`s why it is better to replace the whole thing with a new carburetor.

Hi
I'm a 'Pro 026' owner.

Just wondering what is special about the MS200T chainsaw...

And or what makes them desirable over other Stihl's???

Accelerator pumps can be rebuild when they are worn out, but it`s mostly only a fix for some time. Not only the pump piston with it`s rubber ring is worn, also the seat of it is worn and that`s why it is better to replace the whole thing with a new carburetor.
I agree with this, its the proper fix. The 200t had a number of carbs throughout its life, many had accelerator pumps but some didn't. You may try sourcing one without it or do what I did and buy a new OEM carb with pump. I plugged a pump with JB & it bought me a few months of use until I got a new OEM carb & its been problems free since. Haven't tried the AM chincy carbs but LW said he found some 'good ones' a while ago, not sure if there still around. 200t's IMO deserve good parts, would you like to buy one used & find its half filled with AM nasties... Those saws are legend small pro saws that need proper maintenance.

I agree with this, its the proper fix. The 200t had a number of carbs throughout its life, many had accelerator pumps but some didn't. You may try sourcing one without it or do what I did and buy a new OEM carb with pump. I plugged a pump with JB & it bought me a few months of use until I got a new OEM carb & its been problems free since. Haven't tried the AM chincy carbs but LW said he found some 'good ones' a while ago, not sure if there still around. 200t's IMO deserve good parts, would you like to buy one used & find its half filled with AM nasties... Those saws are legend small pro saws that need proper maintenance.
Do you happen to know what carb it was that didn't have the accelerator pump? Model #?

I
Non accelerator carbs are not the ultimate fix they mess up also for other reasons. Internal leaks,clogged passages etc. nothing but trouble and I think its from Ethanol. Keep your E gas fresh or dont use any if you can help it.
I have about (3) gas stations that sell non-ethanol within a 3mile radius. One even has racing fuel around 100 octane do you recommend racing fuel or straight non ethanol for saws?

Latest posts

Back