Stihl MS211/C

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Walker

Reaction score
Hi all - my Stihl has two unusual things going onl
1) it starts and revs very quickly (engages the blade if not locked) and then cuts out when I dechoke it. I have cleaned all new fuel through it. I have tinkered about with the carb screws but to no significant change.
2) when I do get it running (requires revving to maintain it), it seems to lack any power in the cut. I have replaced chain but for now am not using it as the startup worries me - since it gets so hot.

What should I start with - do I need to get to the carburetta? Do I have an air leak?

Apologies in advance for such newbie questions.

many thanks - I'll have to google the impulse!
I presume there are 'carb kits' on amazon. - will have a look.
Update - after tinkering some more with the L and H it now only starts when I rev it and then wont succesfully idle!
The new chain has fixed the cut issue - so clearly I've been cutting too much earth!

2) when I do get it running (requires revving to maintain it), it seems to lack any power in the cut. I have replaced chain but for now am not using it as the startup worries me - since it gets so hot.
If you overheated the saw by forcing it to cut with a dull chain you may have done serious damage to the cylinder causing an air leak and all of your symptoms.

The transfer covers on the cylinder are glued on and too much heat will soften the glue creating a leak. Before running it any more you need to have the saw crankcase pressure checked for leaks.

many thanks - I'll have to google the impulse!
I presume there are 'carb kits' on amazon. - will have a look.
Update - after tinkering some more with the L and H it now only starts when I rev it and then wont succesfully idle!
The new chain has fixed the cut issue - so clearly I've been cutting too much earth!
Remove the carb and clean it off to find the model# then use that to find the correct carb kit, or find the pinned thread in the chainsaw section to request the ipl and repair manuals for the saw to look what you need up

Latest posts

Back