Stihl 019t wont idle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cycloptico

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got a used stihl 019t for a 100$ before doing research only to find that after research it is in the top 5 worst saws, no matter though, there are two problems I'm having first of all when I get it started it won't idle, second when I Rev it up with the chain brake on smoke comes out of the sprocket, just wondering how serious that last bit is. Anybody got some input?

I just got a used stihl 019t for a 100$ before doing research only to find that after research it is in the top 5 worst saws, no matter though, there are two problems I'm having first of all when I get it started it won't idle, second when I Rev it up with the chain brake on smoke comes out of the sprocket, just wondering how serious that last bit is. Anybody got some input?
Chain brake must be slipping, how long you rev it up with the brake on? The failure to idle could be tuning of the carb, bad carb or low compression.

You never rev a saw up with the chain brake activated, that causes instant heat buildup, the clutch shoes slipping around inside the clutch drum can cause enough heat to melt the plastic surrounding the engine drive side,
Yeah, the question is, why rev it up with the brake on at all? What was he thinking?

Yeah, the question is, why rev it up with the brake on at all? What was he thinking?
You would never believe the amount of people that do not know how a chain brake works, how the bar actually moves ahead to tighten the chain,how it won`t when the bar nuts are tight or why we just don`t put only oil in one tank and straight gas in the other tank. They just don`t know any better until they ask and get direction from those that do know.

Also did not rev long just a couple squeezes of the throttle, not much at all, and the reasoning is because it's a used saw and I just wanted to see if anything was wrong with it, I get where your coming from assuming I must be an idiot, but I do know my way around around a saw and use them 40hrs a week, I've never had a top handle saw though and this one in particular you've just about got to disassemble the whole damn thing just to get to the carb, I will rebuild the carb but if that don't do it then I'll just have to mess around and find out, I've just never seen smoke coming out of the sprocket like that

Latest posts

Back