Stihl MS250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep... if the guy was a logger and wanted to know about a saw... you bet I would recommend a saw in that price range or higher. Because he would need a pro grade saw that will take the abuse of loggin' operations.

But there are saws marketed just for the firewood cutter in a more affordable package.

:)

Gary

There's probably no "right" here, but I'm with Gary on this. Maybe I just have a fondness for older, used saws, or maybe I just like keeping my money. I have any one of 10 saws (such is the nature of CAD, right?) that would be more than enough for the job. I probably don't have more than $200 in the best of them, and I have substantially less in most of them.

Maybe I'm off topic. If the question is "what is the best.. etc" then a 361 is a good answer. But let's face it, you can get all the saw you need for firewood for a bunch less. If you want a Lamborghini, fine, but you don't need one just to drive to work. $600 or $700 to cut firewood? Wowee! I cut firewood to save money on winter heating and maybe I'll get a vacation out of the deal. I'm not going to hose away all my savings on something I don't really need.

Gawd, I'm cheap.

I'd actually be looking into a Dolmar 5100 if I was buying a new firewood saw. They sound like one of the best values around. Lotta punch in a small, inexpensive package. You might spend more time on the larger wood (IF you find some) , but I think you might spend less time and effort on smaller wood. Expeditious firewood gathering is not really about how fast the saw cuts through the wood, its more about how efficient the rest of your operation is.

Last edited:
Why not Echo

I own a Stihl, Echo and a couple of Jonsered Pro saws (MS250, CS370, CS2153, and CS2172). For a homeowner/firewood cutter you can't beat and Echo for the money. Fantastic anti-vibe, easy to start, and a 5 year warranty. That new CS530 should be the answer he's looking for, of a CS440 if that's what he wants. Jonsered,Husky,Stihl pro saws are great, but really why spend that kind of money to cut a little firewood? I wouldn't wish an MS250 on my worst enemy. Miserable saw to run. I keep mine for a "junk" saw to use on anything that might have metal in it so I don't hurt one of my good saws.

.... Expeditious firewood gathering is not really about how fast the saw cuts through the wood, its more about how efficient the rest of your operation is.

That sure is true, but good equipment is much more fun to work with......:biggrinbounce2:

Last edited:
That sure if true, but good equipment is much more fun to work with......:biggrinbounce2:

:agree2: :agree2:

And a homeowner who has a 9-5 job, a steady income and $1500 a month mortgage is barely going to notice the financial difference between an initial $400 saw purchase (such as the much slower MS290) and a $600 purchase (such as the much faster MS361 or 357XP). If you only have a few hours a week of free time to cut wood, you're simply going to get more done, and have more fun, with a professional-grade saw. Someone who cuts just a few cords of firewood per year will have little use for more than one saw, and one "really great saw" makes both the actual cutting experience and pride of ownership that much better. Any decent brand saw should last a homeowner decades - the $200 difference between a "good" saw and a "great" saw spread out over 10 years comes to a whopping 39 cents a week.

:agree2: :agree2:

And a homeowner who has a 9-5 job, a steady income and $1500 a month mortgage is barely going to notice the financial difference between an initial $400 saw purchase (such as the much slower MS290) and a $600 purchase (such as the much faster MS361 or 357XP). If you only have a few hours a week of free time to cut wood, you're simply going to get more done, and have more fun, with a professional-grade saw. Someone who cuts just a few cords of firewood per year will have little use for more than one saw, and one "really great saw" makes both the actual cutting experience and pride of ownership that much better. Any decent brand saw should last a homeowner decades - the $200 difference between a "good" saw and a "great" saw spread out over 10 years comes to a whopping 39 cents a week.

I used to only have a Stihl 180(2hp) and cut up to 20 inch hardwood with its 14 inch b&c (see below). It was slow no doubt but with a sharp chain it went threw. It took me more time to split(with axe&wedges) and stack the wood than cutting. I believe it to be true for all of us. The cutting might be faster with a more powerful saw but lets be honest to ourselves, after 2 hours cutting&chopping&stacking we might have saved something like 5 minutes with a faster saw.
I believe a 180 as my only saw might be a little on the small side but it is definately an viable option. I got a fantastic deal on a Solo 644 (3.5 hp) which I couldn't resist. From its powerband I believe that saws in the 3hp/50cc class would be sufficient for all homeowners/firewood needs.

A sharp chain is more important than cc or hp!

The argument is true with the 39cents a week and for a very good(not fancy) tool it always wise to spend a little more.

My recommondation would be something like:
very good: solo 650sp, dolmar 510, husqvarna 345, stihl 250, echo 520, efco 152
excellent/fancy(for the homeowner) : solo 656, dolmar 5100, husqvarna 353, 346xp, stihl 260, 361, tanaka 5601

Do not forget to check out all in one packages like at Baileys "Firewood Cutting Kits" http://www.baileysonline.com/search.asp?SKW=fwk&catID=1056 where you also get PPE(personal protection equipment, like chainsaw chaps...).

Good luck with your purchase

7sleeper

never underestimate a small saw

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vVRLdrQcrsU&hl=de&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vVRLdrQcrsU&hl=de&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

As a newbie here, I'd like to toss my two cents in -

I have an older 025 and an MS390, and use them both for firewood and around my sawmill. I'm not a pro by any means. I have had the 025 for 15 years and it has never given me any problems. It is an awesome saw compared to the PIG that is the 390. I hate the 390. But when it comes down to bang for the buck, the little 025 has served me very well. Right now I'm trying to hack up a 40" dia. sugar maple log and neither saw is taking it very well. I'm probably one of those guys that would be looking for that hypothetical "ideal saw", the one saw that will work for everything. I'll probably foist the 390 off on some unsuspecting eBayer and get a 361 for future firewood cutting.

Also - the 025/250 runs best with a 16" bar or less. It is a dog with an 18" bar, as I soon found out. Same for the 390 - even with a 20" bar it bogs somewhat, the 25" bar I've been using to cut that big maple and some other big pine is a lesson in how to stall a saw.

My thoughts, 7 sleeper nailed it. I grew up on a farm heating with wood, and we never had any "Pro" grade saws...my dad had a ProMac 650 that we cut EVERYTHING with, from felling the tree to 2" stuffand smaller, he'd cut, my siblings and I carried it to the truck. We were always falling behind, and that saw ran a 16" bar and weighed over 18lbs. I grew up running 16" saws, I think they're perfect for *most* fire wood duties.

I just went through my old Mac 110, stuck a 14" bar on it, and it shakes like an epileptic on a vibrating hotel bed, but you know what? It cuts firewood! :chainsaw:

I personally couldn't see walking around in the trees all day, cutting up stuff that has already fallen (there's a LOT of it all over here in SD!) with a 20+" bar...I ordered myself a 5100s with an 18" bar, but I *might* go to a 20", just because I'm getting set up as a dealer (I hope) but honestly, if I was going to buy one of the new Dolmars, for what I call firewood, I'd be looking real hard at the new 420, around $300 bucks, 16" bar, light, smooth, easy to cut 3" branches with as well as fell the smaller trees. I dropped an old tree on Sunday with my old 16" Craftsman, the tree was about 20" at the base, and I didn't cut through it fast enough to send a video to youtube, but the tree is in little bitty pieces now! :) That said, I can only run these saws about 45 minutes before the vibration makes my hands numb, which is why hopefully by the end of the week I'll have a shiny new toy! :greenchainsaw:

Like I said, just my thoughts... I consider "firewood" wood that I can cut and stick in the fire, not necessarily wood that all needs to be cured/split/stacked and burned next year. I cut lots of 2" stuff that is dead that I see laying around, it burns well and starts easy! :clap:

Yep... if the guy was a logger and wanted to know about a saw... you bet I would recommend a saw in that price range or higher. Because he would need a pro grade saw that will take the abuse of loggin' operations.

But there are saws marketed just for the firewood cutter in a more affordable package.

:)

Gary

Really depends on the amount of firewood. A few cords a year, you can get away with a smaller cheaper saw. But... what I consider firewood is at least 10 cords a year. I also cut as many trees now as I did living on the 100+ acre ranch. But then, that's me.

I agree on the shorter 250 bar length, 16" is pretty much it. I also only use picco 3/8 on them as well, as the .325 has too wide a kerf in my experience for the 210-250 saw line. As for a 25 inch bar on a 390, that should work, I run a 25 inch on my 361 most of the time with little problem. My favorite bar for that saw, actually.

Also - the 025/250 runs best with a 16" bar or less. It is a dog with an 18" bar, as I soon found out. Same for the 390 - even with a 20" bar it bogs somewhat, the 25" bar I've been using to cut that big maple and some other big pine is a lesson in how to stall a saw.

I consider "firewood" wood that I can cut and stick in the fire, not necessarily wood that all needs to be cured/split/stacked and burned next year. I cut lots of 2" stuff that is dead that I see laying around, it burns well and starts easy!

2" ?

Why not just use one of these:

Back