Stihl MS291 sprocket, bar length question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a new member on this site and also new to cutting firewood. I was gifted a ms291 from my Pops to harvest my own wood and for use around my small farm. Well I learned a lot this year, cutting. Unfortunately I put my saw through hell while learning. My 325 sprocket has been gouged deep and I have a new one coming from eBay. My bar is destroyed, mushroomed bad and near the tip probably a good 1/4" wore on top and bottom. I was pushing the tip to cut when hot. My 2 chains are stretched to where they will not tighten up anymore. Here's my question. The chains for this 20" saw are pricey, I see much cheaper ones for a 3/8". I already purchased the 7 tooth spur sprocket but since I need a new bar and chain what are my options? I'm mechanically inclined for repairs. Should I go smaller bar? Should I have switched to a rim sprocket ? What's my best option moving forward? Also, off topic, my buddy and I started a wood business and he brought an 029 super into the mix. It kept dying and the guy at Ace said the compression what shot. I want to rebuild it for my buddy as a Christmas gift. I have no experience with small engines but I can turn a wrench and read instructions. How hard will this rebuild be and what parts will I need? Thanks in advance
My MS291 in some Black Cherry
ms291 Black Cherry in Fall of 2016b.jpg

Latest posts

Back