Stihl ms362 walbro carb help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tothemax

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello. What should the metering rod be set on this walbro wte carb? I have the little walbro gauge but I do not see a wte on it.

Thanks

You mean the inlet control lever? I never change those out as they are already set correctly. Needle and diaphragms yes

I've always called them a metering rod, may be mistaken. I've found numerous ones out of a kit not adjusted properly.

I've always called them a metering rod, may be mistaken. I've found numerous ones out of a kit not adjusted properly.

I just chage the needle and the diaphrams on the carb, after a ultrasonic bath that is. The lever is seldom touched as it ran well before the diaphrams stiffened.

Post a picture of the carb pan with the metering lever in place and I'll tell you where it needs to be. Have the metering diaphragm next to it with the underside up so I can see if the button is tall or flat.

It's a good idea to change the metering lever out when rebuilding the carb with a new kit. Those levers take on considerable wear.

Ok. I'm not installing a new carb kit. I'm going through and wanted to check to make sure the previous person installed it right. I always check them. I have found them where they were installed wrong from the factory.

Ok. I'm not installing a new carb kit. I'm going through and wanted to check to make sure the previous person installed it right. I always check them. I have found them where they were installed wrong from the factory.

Installed wrong then the saw would not run, not adjusted properly is a more accurate statement. How does the saw run?

Saw starts but feels like it had a clued jet or a air leak. Will big then all the sudden take off.

I tore the carb apart thinking it may be dirt clogging the screen. Gaskets looks great. I don't happen to have a kit available so I was going to check the rod setting and reinstall. I removed the H limiter cap and was going to see if I could dial it in.

Posting pics

Attachments

• 1495408690963944054258.jpg
    1495408690963944054258.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 35
The gauge set on wt pushes the rod down. IM guessing it needs to be flush with the lower bowl of the carb.

Attachments

• 1495408805985-934101554.jpg
    1495408805985-934101554.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 35
So for future reference I would like to know where the WTE's rod should measure on the gauge. That way when I run across another I have it marked on the gauge.

It looks good enough. It only needs to be flush with the bottom and eyeballing will do you just fine. Any small flat edge will work.
The diaphragm looks good but if it has any stiff crackle to it when you flex it then replace it.

I suspect an air leak either at the intake boot or crank seal.

Use the Walbro gauge 500-13. Put on the metering gasket on your WTE carb an then hold on the Walbro gauge using the tab where it is stamped WB and WLA on the other side. Adjust the inlet control lever that it just touches the tab of the stetting gauge, but that it does not open the inlet needle. This is also valid for the Walbro WTF carbs.

Use the Walbro gauge 500-13. Put on the metering gasket on your WTE carb an then hold on the Walbro gauge using the tab where it is stamped WB and WLA on the other side. Adjust the inlet control lever that it just touches the tab of the stetting gauge, but that it does not open the inlet needle. This is also valid for the Walbro WTF carbs.
Did you measure the bottom of the pan to the edge of the carb body to figure this out or did you just try it and it ran ok?

Our Stihl MS362 C-Q didn't run on idle, and acted irregular on adjusting the L needle.
Tried first with the carburator repair kit (diaphragms and valve), but to no avail.
Had to replace the entire Walbro carburetor WTE-8 with the newer WTE-8A

Items changed:
1140 007 1004 Membransats till Walbro WTE-8
4116 121 5100 Nålventil
1140 120 0600 Förgasare Walbro WTE-8A

I don't have that carb on hand for measurement but the walbro tool tab looks taller than the depth of the pan so I figured I'd ask.
I suppose @Tothemax can verify to settle my curiosity. Lol

If I use the middle tip of the w gauge it is longer than the sides. The other sides of the gauge are flat. I was using it as a reference as you use it for wt carbs.

That is correct, I found the same info from our Stihl dealer after I had 3 saws come in with problems after they had carb rebuilds done by others on 362`s. They all ran lean and had a difficult time to reach WOT,use the side of the W gauge as stated above on top of the metering gasket.

Back