Stihl MS440 Magnum w/32" Bar - Deal or No Deal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing wrong with blue, really. Homelite used it for years. Makita has hundreds of other tools that are blue and many are top rated. It's kind of a trademark in disguise. The blue saws may eventually become classics and I may have to gobble a couple up. Not many even know that Dolmar makes them. Mine runs like a champ and with the BBK, it will stay even with my Stihl 046 Mag.

Thanks again, John.

Here's the URL to watch:
http://www.homedepot.com/tool-truck-rental/used-tools/index.html

John

No deal today. Best price was $360 as the boss wasn't in the shop to dicker further.
Compression was 170 psi. The spark plug was blackened, so clearly the carb wasn't set too lean.
The piston skirt and cylinder were descent, just a few light score marks.
Pulled the sheath off the bar and it was fitted with a ~28" replaceable tip Oregon bar without a stitch of paint on it.
The chain was so worn that I'd toss it.
The saw started easily, I'm guessing that someone else had looked at it and fired it up that day or the day before.
Clearly they didn't pull the muffler cover based on the difficulty of removing the top two screws.
Stop by in a week or two to see if it is still there.
I figure for what they are asking I could almost pickup a Home Depot Makita/Domler DCS6421 and put a big bore kit on it.

Made another visit to the shop and the MS440 was still on the shelf. Asked the store manager for his best price and he came back with $340.
Looked around the store a bit more, then wandered out the door. I really like the spring AV on my MS362, which keeps the DCS6421 option in play given that the MS440 uses a rubber AV system.

Buy the saw. In a minute. It's a legend. Not available no longer. Plenty of parts and always will be. Power to weight ratio with a 20-25" bar is great.

Buy the saw. In a minute. It's a legend. Not available no longer. Plenty of parts and always will be. Power to weight ratio with a 20-25" bar is great.
I have to agree that the MS440 would be a great buy at that price ($340). Consider this: I sold one last year for $500 (PHO) that was rebuilt by a member of this forum. It ran perfectly for a year. Last year a climber took it up in a big tree and then dropped the saw from 40' up. Then the tree section he was cutting fell on top the saw and literally crushed it.

I gambled and replaced all that parts that were ruined, including the tank housing, chain brake, outer handle, all the plastic, etc. I had no idea if it would ever work again, but somehow it had reasonable compression. The case was intact.

Today I started it and it ran well, cutting through 24" diameter maple and noodle cutting the big rounds in half like a champion while pulling a 25" bar. Two thumbs up for the Stihl MS440, another saw that Stihl should never have discontinued.

Damn a 32" on a 440 must be some really soft wood they cut out there...

At that price tho buy the damn saw flash 3-$100 bills and she is yours....

Hell it may be ported by a great builder, never know!!!

Damn a 32" on a 440 must be some really soft wood they cut out there...

At that price tho buy the damn saw flash 3-$100 bills and she is yours....

Hell it may be ported by a great builder, never know!!!

Most of the forest land is fir, which is soft as compared to oak.
The saw had a bar sheath on it and when I pulled it I found a 28" bar with a worn out full skip chain on it.

Most of the forest land is fir, which is soft as compared to oak.
The saw had a bar sheath on it and when I pulled it I found a 28" bar with a worn out full skip chain on it.
I got ya.....well if the saw is in good shape you may get a good deal on that saw!!

IMG_2521.JPG IMG_2522.JPG

If piston looks good point our bar and chain are shot then flash 3-$100, it will be yours...

Well they know you want it now, but I know in my experience $100 bills, right in front of people's faces makes things happen....they hate to think you are walking out with the money

Back