Stihl pole saw question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DYNOBOB

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Does anyone know why a telescoping Stihl pole saw quits turning the saw when extended? Works when retracted.

Most likely, the small retaining ring on the lower driveshaft has come out of its groove around the shaft, allowing the lower shaft to disengage from the clutch drum when the pole is extended. This is a simple repair, but get a repair manual for this unit before disassembling the drive tube assy. There are lots of ways to reassemble the tube and ony one is the correct way.

Like Stihldoc said. And make sure you have the IPL for it BEFORE dissasembling and mark which way each drive shaft came out of the tube and which went with what tube.

Sometimes it is easier to bring it into a dealer for this minor repair.

I'll be fixing it myself. I think I can get the service manual but I'll take any advise. I will wait until I have the service manual. Thanks for the comments above, that tells me it's not something drastic.

I have not picked it up yet. I'm going on what seller is telling me. Bob
The only time I've ever seen that happen is when someone has jacked with it and not put it back EXACTLY the same way. This is a fairly complicated piece and may be difficult even with a service manual. It's like the one hand said earlier: There's only one right way. BTW I like your choice of saws. Maybe you could help me with my post on the 011av points to electronic ignition.

Except I've got one with points that runs perfect and one w/o that won't make spark with two different coil/wire sets... I'll check out your post.

The sliding poles can be a real pain to work on... Ask your dealer for a copy of the latest Tech note on the topic (late last year) - a decent explanation in print... much better than the service manual...

You must be a more helpful dealer than ours. I buy a fair amount of parts from them but think they would politely decline to offer that info...

Latest posts

Back