stihl problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dartmania2002

Reaction score
Hi guys was looking for some insight on a problem I have with a 028 stihl chainsaw. It starts up real easy runs for about 5 min. then it is dead. I guessed a fuel problem so I unthreaded the brass plug that was inserted into the overflow tube of the gas tank and heard it suck in air, relizing that the tank was under a vacuum and I was getting no fuel, I left the plug out and the saw ran well, but still will not idle. I didn't adjust any of the 3 screws. Any pointers on what I should do next? Thank you for any insight you might have.

Dartmann,From my point of view this anomaly will be hard to deduce.How is the compression? How does the plug look? Is the air filter clean? When was the last time the gas filter was changed?
I do not mean to put a man down. As to your quandary,I would make a bet that a carb kit would be first on the agenda.A new gas filter could not hurt. I really suspect some debri may be floating about in the carb.
When you say, the saw will not idle, does it smoke or run rough? I suspect that it is now running overly rich. Do yourself a favor, Clean out the vent and replace it.
By the way, I used to sled in Oneida county.What part of NY are you in, Ken

sorry for not explaining better. There is a new fual filter on it and I cleaned the air filter up real good. It does not smoke alot so I am not thinking that it is running to rich.

as for the sledding I am in southern Erie county about 35 mins. south of Buffalo. The season was very short last year hoping for more snow this time around.

With the tank vent issue out of the way - How about turning the LA screw out a bit, and see if it will idle then????

If the setting of the L and H screws unknown, I also suggest that you start from the beginning, turning them gently all the way in, and then one turn out......

is there a guide somewhere on how to tune the saw? how about a parts breadown with the #'s I have been all over the internet looking for a breakdown to no avail. thanks again

First take off the muffler and look at the piston, that will probably settle
it quick.
Next, I would look into the carb. These older saws, the fuel filter insert
would fall apart after 20 years or so, and the debris would collect in the carb screen, like a pinch of snuff. You should expect to put in a new kit while
you are there, and remove the lever/spring/needle, and blow out the passage
below it, visually inspect it to make sure it is clear, and blow out all other orifices.
Being a Stihl saw, one should expect a fuel filter to last for at least 40 years, but no.............

Latest posts

Back