Stihl repair help please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rebonding of the cover requires a special high temp adhesive that has to go through the correct surface treatment and the proper temperature controlled cure process. Very little hope of success with "over the counter" adhesives. Might want to check out what 3M has to offer in a film adhesive.

In my opinion, I would look to a reputable AM company for a piston and cylinder. Chainsaws aren't cheap and most top end jobs are under $100 with AM parts. You also might find a good used cylinder and piston on flea bay. If you give it back to the owner there is a good chance he will blow it up again

Will another adhesive work under the heat cycle conditions? Doubtful but who knows?
The piston shows light scoring up and down. Could be a partial lean seize. I would be more concerned with a bearing cage coming apart on the crank. Needs a tear down.
Serial number please.
Wrong.
Glue it back together with JB Weld and good prep. It either lives or dies.

Compression numbers are irrelevant. The condition of the piston tells the tale. That is now a parts saw.

As for cause the saw was overheated which loosened the glue enough to cause a lean condition which burned up the motor. The cause of the overheating could be old gas or cutting with a dull chain, etc.
It probably has beat PTO seal from the clutch being slipped to death on with dull cutters.

Create your own market.
It's no "design" mistake in fact it's built in and likely cost extra to build.

I never said it was any kind of fault- most of them probably fail due to excessive heat from a filthy state and dull chain overtaxing the saw.
I did say I try to avoid them like the plague- because I do not rate the saws for personal use and they are ugly wee sods to work on for others. ;)

I appreciate all the input from everyone. I clicked on the JB Weld link that Chevyboy0167 posted and told them what I was doing and here is their reply.​

Brittney at J-B Weld
· 17 hours ago

"We recommend using Original J-B Weld Twin Tube Epoxy, 8265. Make sure any premix is completely clean off. Apply and wrap with strong rubber bands to keep it tight. It needs to set for a good 2 days undisturbed."

I don't see that I have anything to loose by putting it back together and giving it a try. I'm going to clean it real good and glue it back together with JB weld's recommendation, twin tube epoxy 8265. Then clamp it together with a hose clamp or zip tie till it dries. I have not looked at it yet to see if I have enough meat there for a couple of short self tapping screws, but I like that idea. Might even bring it in the house by the wood stove to help it set up for a couple of days. Might get one cut out of it or 25 years out of it. You never know till you try.
Thanks for all the ideas.

I appreciate all the input from everyone. I clicked on the JB Weld link that Chevyboy0167 posted and told them what I was doing and here is their reply.​

Brittney at J-B Weld
· 17 hours ago

"We recommend using Original J-B Weld Twin Tube Epoxy, 8265. Make sure any premix is completely clean off. Apply and wrap with strong rubber bands to keep it tight. It needs to set for a good 2 days undisturbed."

I don't see that I have anything to loose by putting it back together and giving it a try. I'm going to clean it real good and glue it back together with JB weld's recommendation, twin tube epoxy 8265. Then clamp it together with a hose clamp or zip tie till it dries. I have not looked at it yet to see if I have enough meat there for a couple of short self tapping screws, but I like that idea. Might even bring it in the house by the wood stove to help it set up for a couple of days. Might get one cut out of it or 25 years out of it. You never know till you try.
Maybe c-clamps to hold together while curing. Would be nice to vacuum/pressure test after, but I’d likely be too eager and just run it.

Brittney at J-B Weld
· 17 hours ago

Did Brittany at JB Weld mention to use shrim cloth to help create a bond line ?

Did Brittany at JB Weld mention to use shrim cloth to help create a bond line ?
No she did not. I quoted her exact response to my situation. Here is what I told JB weld I was doing.

Gcate​

· a day ago

I need to reattach a transfer port cover back on a Stihl MS271 chainsaw. This cover is basically a cover that attaches to the side of the cylinder that should be permanently attached from the factory. Metal cylinder, metal cover. combustion chamber close by.​

What she recomended was not the High Heat or Extream Heat options that JB Weld offers. I might need to go back and question that.
What is "shrim cloth"?

Hey-I have the same problem on my Stihl ms251c, it just came off, wtf!!?? no cement or sealant on it, what the hell is it for, and why isn't it put on better? Let me know how you make out with your repair, thanks

Back