Stihl Saw Comparison $/lb $/HP HP/lb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spacemule said:
Neat information. It would be much more readable, however, if you put it in a spreadsheet or table, saved it as an image, and attached that. It's kind of garbled as is.

As you requested, good idea BTW - I already had it in a spreadsheet - just did not think of posting it as an image - charts in the first post give a better look at the trends than the raw data table.

Last edited:
That's a lot easier to read. Here is is compressed a bit.

attachment.php

Nice table
The parameter $/lb seem very curious for me.
It shows the gold content of the saw:dizzy:

This is indeed interesting info. I also wonder if the reason the 290 is such low $$/hp is that they make so many of them. Higher production = lower cost?? I realize the world is a whole lot larger than just Wisconsin, but I'd be willing to bet a dollar to a donut that they sell 3 MS290's to every one of all the rest combined around these parts.

I used an 029 for about 5 yrs - had a 20" bar on it with .325 chain. I was always happy with it except the weight. I then bought an MS180 for limbing which I REALLY liked for that application. However, I found myself hauling too much equipment back and forth to the woodlot. I sold the 180 to my Pa and traded the 029 for my MS260 with 20" bar and just bought a 16" bar as well. Now I have the 20" for taking the big oaks down with and use the 16" for limbing, etc. I feel it's the best of both worlds, plus that nice little 180 is still available to me for cutting brush out of fencelines, ect! :)

I would also be interested to see a Stihl vs Husky vs ?? comparison with the same data. The hp/lb might be what the pros look at, but we also need to keep in mind when comparing Stihl vs brand X that brand X may have a real good ratio due to a lightweight (ie:cheap) design. I'm not directing this toward the gentleman who posted the Dolmar data - but may be something to look at when comparing certain brands to Stihl.

pinus said:
Nice table
The parameter $/lb seem very curious for me.
It shows the gold content of the saw:dizzy:

Yea, as you will see in the original post, $/lb shouldn't really be there, I was just too lazy to delete it. Maybe if someone sends me all the specs on husky, dolmar, etc with list prices, I will expand the chart - and remove the $/lb.

Lakeside53 said:
Did you put a brand new bar on just for the photo?:)

Well I did put a brand new bar on, but only because the bar and chain that came on the saw were so badly worn/shapened they cut very crooked and would jam the blade before it got very deep into the wood. The chain was shap, but cut really crooked. Would probably be great if you wanted to cut holes in plywood all day:lol

Oh also the chain that came on it was an RM2:bang:

It also shows why the 250 is so popular in my part of the country. Only $100 per HP and the same weight to power ratio as the 260. It's also interesting how close the power to weight ratio of the 290 and 310 are to the 260. Now don't anyone jump on me, I know the 260 is built better. But for someone who is an occasional user Stihl did its homework.

God Bless,
Brent J Cox

A lot of the final price is determined by marketing and consumer perception of "value". Considering the Manf. cost differences (minor) of a 290, 310 and 390, the retail doesn't track this at $350, $410 and $490 respectively...

If it's reasonable to assume the 290 makes money for Stihl, the 310 and 390 are very profitable.

Same thing for and 021, 023 and 025...

Cool chart! Here is the Dolmar Spec's.

PS-3400TH
1.9bHP
7.0lbs
$359.95 14"

PS-34
1.9bHP
10.2lbs
$199.95 14"

PS-341
1.9bHP
8.6lbs
$219.95 14"

PS-401
2.27bHP
8.6lbs
$249.95 16"

PS-460
2.95bHP
12.1lbs
$299.95 16"

PS-510
3.2bHP
12.1lbs
$329.95 18"

PS-5100s
4.0bHP
11.2lbs
$409.95 18"

PS-540
3.0bHP
10.4lbs
$349.95 18"

PS-6400
4.8bHP
13.8lbs
$519.95 PHO

PS-7300
5.7bHP
13.8lbs
$609.95 PHO

PS-7900
6.3bHP
13.8lbs
$689.95 PHO

PS-9010
6.9bHP
18lbs
$889.95 PHO

PHO = Power Head Only no B&C

Steve

I will add the Dolmar items to the chart soon, will probably need to up the ones that are PHO so it is apples to apples. I will use $50 unless some gives me a better #.

serussell said:
Here is my first attempt at adding the DOLMAR data, I can put Husky in next.

attachment.php

Data sure makes Dolmar PS5100 and 7900 look good!!!

There is a lot of great info in those charts. Now if we can add some more brands (husqvarna, jonsered, efco, etc.) I have the Solo Specs & Pricing if you want them.

the most i have seen a 455 husky sell for in MO is 364.00$ 390.00 is a little steep but mabe it is including tax

serussell said:
Added in the Husky saws - info taken from *****.

Sorry to bore some of you with references to test reports by DLG and KWF again, but those independent tests show that Husky and Jonsered are a bit optimistic regarding the weight of most of their saws, and very optimisitic regarding some models. The worst cases is the 357xp, 372xp and 359 - and corresponding Jred models.
Dolmar is also a bit optimistic, while Stihl mostly is right on with the exception of the 290 and 390 (310 is not tested).

Latest posts

Back