Stihl special tools?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coyote556

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
From you all who tear down the crankcases often, do i really have to buy the special tools ("zs" tool and "as") to do jobs like replacing a crankcase, crankshaft, or bearings? is there a cheaper way that will still get a properly assembled saw? thanks

In my opinion, no you don't need the special tools. To get things apart you can use some oven heat or a propane torch and a plastic mallet. A simple gear/bearing puller will take bearings off the crank. To get bearings back in the case, freeze the bearing and heat the case in the oven. If you want to put the bearing on the crank first, freeze the crank and heat the bearing. You get the idea. Don't burn yourself.
To assemble things you can use a press and cups or even a large, sturdy C clamp and the correctly sized sockets serving as press cups. Be creative but careful. Others will offer their methods or tricks, you just need to find what works for you. Good luck. John

on my current project, all i need to do is replace the clutch side of the crank case. i know that they say you have to replace them as a set, however i have talked to others who have replaced only one side with no problems.

the last time I tried to put together two different cases it did not work. I could not get the case to seal properly. I have had it work in the past too. It's a gamble if it will work.

Tom

Oh, and to answer your question on the tools. I bought all the tools a while back and they are nice. I find that the more times I tear the saws apart the less I use the tools (the as and zs tools). I still use the oil seal install tools and bearing presses on all the saws rather than sockets, but if you don't have them you can use sockets. A really handy tool, although expensive, is the oil seal removal tool.

Tom

Latest posts

Back