Stihl vs. Dolmar...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ancy

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well only took out the 066 and 034s and left the 7901 and 5100 at home and man I got to say I wished I would have brought them(not that they are better, just used to them)! Well the 066 went through a tank of mix in a blink of an eye and upon refill the bar lube cap broke in three pieces... well over to the minty 034 super and flooded it..dam..wrench doesn't fit through cover to pull the plug! Got the job started but not done...the $tihls ran awesome but just got to say I'm used to those sweet Dolmars so they must be better:D!
uploadfromtaptalk1380416239466.jpg

Sent from my XT881

I hear ya! 7900 is probably the most satisfying saw I've ever owned or run. Glad I got a few of 'em in boxes in the basement for a rainy day, complete with a stash of new red-top covers!

I occasionally think about ditching my early 5100s, since I rarely use it anymore, but it certainly runs circles around most other 50cc saws and is super comfortable to use. I do have to agree with ST, though, the Husqvarnas do have an edge in the handling department, especially with my thinning and invasive removal work, where the saw gets tipped back and forth - face cut, back cut, push tree over, block up pieces, break down limbs - thousands of times in an afternoon. On the wood pile or felling fewer, bigger trees, though, the 5100s is in its element!

Don't compare fuel consumption of the 7900 and 066. I traded my 044 in for a 7900. In comparison with that machine the fuel consumption is probably the same.

Wolter

On the fuel side I'm saying the 7901 could of done the same work so why not compare it?

Sent from my XT881

"Well the 066 went through a tank of mix in a blink of an eye........"

Hilarious. A couple of weeks ago, my Stihl 066 BB, ported, MM just quit running suddenly, immediately after I I filled the gas tank. I spent a good 10 minutes unsuccessfully trying to restart it, until I noticed the tank was bone dry.

Those things LOVE gasoline!

That's not a bad thing...gives you a break!

Sent from my XT881

I was kind of hoping that it would run for a bit more than 5 minutes on a tankful, though.

Typically, you can have any two -> power, lightness or fuel economy. But rarely can you get all three!

But, I agree 5 min of noise between fill ups is pretty short...

Typically, you can have any two -> power, lightness or fuel economy. But rarely can you get all three!

But, I agree 5 min of noise between fill ups is pretty short...

Oh sweet Jesus, during that 5 minutes it sure covers you from head to foot in wood chips, so that you look like some strange furry animal.

5 minutes.run time wouldn't even get a decent size tree down. And if you think a 066 is bad try a ported 880 or a 090. If you want fuel.economy try a Mac 125, it uses less.than half the fuel.of an 880 and will do more work.at less RPM.

Got the oil cap replaced on the 066 and flush cut the stump today and really the first time I've had the 34" bar buried...it did good!

Well only took out the 066 and 034s and left the 7901 and 5100 at home and man I got to say I wished I would have brought them(not that they are better, just used to them)! Well the 066 went through a tank of mix in a blink of an eye and upon refill the bar lube cap broke in three pieces... well over to the minty 034 super and flooded it..dam..wrench doesn't fit through cover to pull the plug! Got the job started but not done...the $tihls ran awesome but just got to say I'm used to those sweet Dolmars so they must be better:D!
View attachment 316238

Sent from my XT881

The oil cap breaking most likely is from being over tightened with a screwdriver. As far as I'm concerned they don't need that slot, just encourages to many average operators to use the screw driver and over do it. With a good gasket I have no problem tightening them plenty with my fingers. I have seen plenty that the middle seperates from over tightening.
Little trick to start the 034, you may need to lift the air cleaner cover up or off to get it to choke properly. May be u know, but if not hold it wide open if for sure its flooded. Usually 3 to 10 pulls will start a flooded saw that way and no need for plug removal but I think its 1 screw to remove the cover if u don' t have the right plug wrench and need to get it out. I haven't run an 5100 much, just got 1 but I believe the 034 will out perform it significantly in larger cuts. On an average job I feel handicapped without an 034, they are fantastic if one is not bothered by the easy quick removal of the air cleaner cover every tank or 2 of fuel ups, mainly to tap out excess saw dust from the air cleaner.
If you run an 8 tooth sprocket it will use noticably less fuel then a 7 in average wood, and make sure the air filter is breathing properly. Mine doesn't seem to run out to awful fast, especially for the wood it cuts when I use it.
I like the Dolmars too but the Stihls seem to make me more money with product availability, reliability and resale value.

Once I got the 034 Super running it did awesome...but still think the 5100 is a bit smoother in the hands, same goes for the 7901 over the 066. All I really got to say is that I always have more saw than wood on most jobs I hit, either brand!

Sent from my XT881

Heck, I wasn't putting down the 066 for being a gas hog. In fact, imho, that is one of its most endearing qualities. BAM BAM THANK YOU MAAM AND NOW SHUT THE F____ UP!!! In those brief 5 minutes between fuelings, the monster cuts a monstrous amount of wood.

Additionally, the claimed fuel efficiency of modern saws makes me laugh. What are we talking about here, a cup of gasoline with the 066 using a couple of teaspoons more for a riot of a time?

Ha! If you think your 066 red light uses gas you should try the ported 066 bbk I did for a tree service!

Andy,
You coming to my new place for the fall gtg oct 26th?

Latest posts

Back