stihls 25 inch bar verses oregon 24 inch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanManofStihl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was wondering what the difference is between the two they both have 84 drive lengths and the same pitch and guages? Just wondering what anyone knew thanks

DanManofStihl said:
I was wondering what the difference is between the two they both have 84 drive lengths and the same pitch and guages? Just wondering what anyone knew thanks

Possible the Oregon is wider to take up just a little more chain or something?

Yeah I wondered that too since I have this Stihl bar and will probably replace witha powermatch when it comes time,
J.D.

I was just wondering I would like to buy a stihl bar and an oregon chain because it is cheaper for the chain. I was just wondering if they were the same thanks for the help.

Do a search for the differences in chain. You will find that Stihl is "harder" (probably a wrong term) and holds an edge longer than Oregon. Stihl is harder to file but Oregon seems to wear quicker.

Tom

Stihl chins are more expensive but have better metallurgy. I wouldn't say harder is the wrong term, better chrome plating and whatnot, You can tell just by getting up close and personal with it that it's better metal. That said I have always run oregon chains along with Stihl. It won't hurt your bar, it will cut great, it just may not live as long or hold an edge as well as the Stihl. I really can't tell much difference in teh cut of 35LG Oregon and 26RS Stihl, just that the Oregon dulls quicker and may be worn out sooner.

Huh, Here I can buy Stihl chain cheaper than oregon. 33RSLF versus 72LG.
I like the oregon better, easier to file after you rock out on some hunk of metal in these city trees. I gotta buy a grinder.....
-Ralph
Oh, local dealer says the 25" marking on the sithl bars is a typo. says they had a run of misnumbered bars. From what I can tell, it musta been a run of 100,000. everyone I see is marked 25", but still 84DL

my MS460's bar is marked 25in too.

been using stihl chains with stihl files. no problems filing so long as you use a quality file like stihl.

cheap files don't cut it on stihl chains. feels like file is gliding across teeth instead of cutting.

I've gotta grinder, but almost never use it. Once you figure how to properly file. you'll like results better than grinding. chain will last longer and will not lose temper.

thompson1600 said:
Stihl is harder to file but Oregon seems to wear quicker.

Tom

I actually find stihl chain is easier to sharpen than oregon. I spent almost three days sharpening a whole heap of stihl chains for the MS440's we use then I went on to sharpen the chains for the huskys which use oregon chain and I just could not get a nice sharp edge like I did with stihl chain (my finger knows all about stihl chain after it slipped and caught on a tooth while doing the rakers I didn't know I had cut myself until I saw the blood)

thompson1600 said:
.......... Stihl is harder to file but Oregon seems to wear quicker. Tom

In a normal maintenance context, I do not find Stihl RS any harder to file than Oregon LP, except that you have to be extra careful the very first time you put a file to it.
Stihl chain sure hold their edge longer, so expected life should be longer.

I wish Stihl would make a NK chain, similar to the 95VP. :Eye: :Eye:

Back