Stihl's new Motor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Reaction score
I saw the inside of a new Stihl 700 cement saw today. It has 3 intakes on the cylinder and two reed valves in both transfer ports, I think it is 98cc and was wondering if it would fit on an 066 casing. It also has a new fangled air filtre.
John

Gypo, It's a stratofied charge engine like a redmax or the new 575 Husqvarna. I do beleive this is the future of most chainsaws.

Gypo Logger said:
I saw the inside of a new Stihl 700 cement saw today. It also has a new fangled air filtre.
John

John I was in to the Stihl dealer also and apparently the engines of all the saws are being redesigned. These will have far more torque, a wider torque range and all will be lower rpm's than present also, according to him. Stihl are also going back to their older colors scheme of years back due to new materials and color pigments being used. I saw an example of a new air filter and liked it very much. He will be at the stihl plant probably next month so he should have more details then.

sedanman said:
Gypo, It's a stratofied charge engine like a redmax or the new 575 Husqvarna. I do beleive this is the future of most chainsaws.
sedanman, what is a "stratified charge engine", and what is its claim to fame, I am curious.

Are these new changes actually performance minded or epa? Low rpms dosen't sound very good. Isn't that the point of a hotsaw to get it peaked out in the rpms. Old gear drives had torque, is anyone still using those things. Just my opinion stihl needs to make some changes to compete with the red racin dolmars, and even husky has them beat. On the 260 vs 6401 thread someone says the new 260s are worse than the 04 models. It gives me shivers. Everthing has a peak, hopefully they have not reached it yet.

Woodshop, A typical piston ported 2 cycle engine pushes 25% of the fuel charge right out the exhaust in an effort to make sure the combustion chamber is "clean" for the next power event. A stratified charge engine uses a cushion of raw air to evacuate the combustion chamber so no (or a lot less anyway) unburned fuel is blown out the exhaust. 25% lower fuel consumption with the same power. Also meets emissions without the need for a catalytic converter.

Sounds good on paper - I need to try runnin one of the new Huskies to come up with a final judgement.

Has anyone tried modding a new husky?

I dont know if there is a difference between cut offs and saws, but the motor on that 700 is bigger than a ms660 and has less hp.

Oh, I forgot! I believe he mentionned that the compensating carb system was going to become standard to go along with the new air filtration system with reduced vibrations levels also. He also showed me a nifty winter summer swithching lever which throws you in to one or the other carb heating or normal position at the flick of a thumb switch, it takes 1 second.

I ran a 700 and 760 side by side and was super impressed with what they have came up with. The power to weight is second to none compared with what the 760 is.. Filter was hardly dirty compared to that of the 760 used in the same ammount of time.

there going to be history.

a stock 575 does not cut as fast as a stock 372.about a pound heaver.

it's all about epa.

EPA phase 1 saws are going to be highly sought after collectors items. And EPA phase 2 saws are going to bum a few people out with power to weight ratio.

Another new stihl motor - or just "EPA II-ized"

Yesterday I stated the following in another tread:
"Moze; If you are going to buy a MS 260, make sure that you get a 2004 model (or earlier), as the power rating in the US catalog is down .2 kw for 2005 :angry: -and I do not think it is a misprint. The cc's are up about .5 cc if memory serves me. It may be EPA- related...... .....wonder when its successor arrives!
The 260 has sure passed its summit, but still is a very good saw, though
."

Is this another new Stihl motor, or is it just a "EPA II-ized" version of the old one?

the 260-440-460-660 ect are not going to be discontinued.

some of you have no idea what your saying. stihl is well under what the epa wants them to be for 2008. the new backpack units and trimmer units help alot.

JimL said:
the 260-440-460-660 ect are not going to be discontinued.

some of you have no idea what your saying. stihl is well under what the epa wants them to be for 2008. the new backpack units and trimmer units help alot.

OK, then.
Since you know all about what is going to happen to Stihl saws in the future, maybe you could tell us what probably already has happened to the 2005 version of the 260? :blob5:

By the way, I have nothing against Stihl in general. I just am curious about facts, especially when the train seems to run in the wrong direction!
I love my MS361W so far! :)
Some of their designs seem somewhat dated, though.

Last edited:
bwalker said:
Any word on whats going to happen with the 260, 440, 460, and 660?

Ben, I don't know if they are being discontinued altogether or not, however I started discussing a new 440 which he had none left in stock, and he suggested if I could that I wait for the new design models and then proceeded to expain some of the changes to these models.

My impression was that thse newer models would start coming in over the next few months.

Just last week I ordered a new 066 Arctic and it was backordered. An 066 backordered? It makes me wonder what I will end up with.
John

sedanman said:
Woodshop, A typical piston ported 2 cycle engine pushes 25% of the fuel charge right out the exhaust in an effort to make sure the combustion chamber is "clean" for the next power event. A stratified charge engine uses a cushion of raw air to evacuate the combustion chamber so no (or a lot less anyway) unburned fuel is blown out the exhaust. 25% lower fuel consumption with the same power. Also meets emissions without the need for a catalytic converter.
cool... sedanman that makes sense, thanks... wonder how they do that... blower? ...compressed air chamber? Like bptree says though, sounds good on paper... interesting stuff. Gonna try and find out more... google search?
Dave

Latest posts

Back