Storing trees for the winter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Reist

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
For the last few years I have been dabbling in growing trees for resale, presently as a hobby and possibly as an income when I retire in 6yrs. I have tried growing trees from seed and when successful bought bare root from growers. This year I finally had some success and was able to get people interested and made enough to cover what I have paid out in the last 3 yrs.

Now I have tree that I want to store for the winter for next season. I have Tulip trees, Sugar Maples, Sweet Gum, Catalpa and persimmons planted in 2 and 3 gal plastic grow bags. They are stored in an 20x20 car shelter that I covered with a heavy white tarp and enclosed the ends. Should the trees be covered inside the shelter, should I use leaves or straw. The tarp has developed some holes and I want to put a second tarp over it should I stay with white or use a darker colour? Green, blue or b;ack? Last year I put all my trees in the shelter without any cover and the only ones to survive where white elm and mulberry.

Rollingdam, New Brunswick, Canada

the Maple, Tulip and White Elm I will probably put outside and burm, but the Sweet Gum, Catalpa, Mulberry are still small and will probably cover in leaves or wood chips inside the shelter.

Latest posts

Back