Strange

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Scrounge

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I clean out my chimney for my wood stove once a year and it ALWAYS needs it bad. My insert is another story, it's a pain to pull off the facade and pull the insert out. I have run about 5 cords through it without cleaning. I justified my laziness by thinking I always run the insert wide open hot. But I have been laying in bed thinking about it the past few nights so I decided I would get up this morning and get it done. The thing only it had was very light coat of fine black soot, a couple of bangs on the side and the shop vac took care of it.
Do you think it was so clean because I do run it so hot, or maybe it's the wood?

Could be both. Hot fire burns cleaner. What kind of wood do you burn? How long do you season it? The newer insert could be a better design for combustion too.

plus, if you have an insulated chimney liner in the flue, the gases stay hotter longer...they get out before the creosote can condense....

I Have A Insert Also. Heat N Glo Northstar. I Have Burned About Three Cords Through It So Far And Went Up On The Roof To Check It The Other Day And Found A Very Small Amount Of Dust Inside The Chimney. I Think I Would Have No Problem Burning Another 3 Cords

Back