Streamlining Your Gear???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rahtreelimbs

A.K.A Rotten Tree Limbs
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Amoungst My Saws........Fool That Has Too Many!!!
Ever since I picked up My Butterfly II I have been thinking of ways to streamline my gear. One idea that I want to try is tying the Tress cord for my lanyard directly to the D-ring. What I want to know is what is the smallest cordage that I can use for a lanyard?
If a small cordage is used, say something around 3/8 provided that the strength is there, how will a 5/16 tress cord react with this?

5/16ths works good on 1/2 inch-I bet it would be fine on 3/8ths.-After all, 1/2 inch works on half inch! You can get the strength you need for a lanyard in a 3/8ths line (KMIII is 5700lb tensile in 3/8ths). Personally I'm not sure I'd want such a skinny lanyard.:angel:

I dont know that there is a 'size' requirement set by ansi, only a strength and im not sure that applies to lanyards. Id think it it were at least 5,000#, it could be 1/4" if you felt safe on it.

Anyone thought of using the black widow microbull line for a lanyard? its only 1/4" and rated at 7,400#.

One concern about the diameter of a lanyard is on small diameter there is less fiber to cut through before failure... what might be just a big nick in 1/2" could blow right through 1/4"... Less of a concern if you are following the two tie in rule and probably not that big an issue for veterans... but for newbies it could make a big difference...
Just a thought.... what do you think?

Ah, point well taken Murph.

I must agree with you on that.

I honestly cant say id consider using 1/4", hell, might as well use 1.75 zingit.;)

8-9mm static line makes a nice lanyard. Make it a different color from all the rest of your ropes for easy ID.

Good to hear that you like the BFII. I got the seat strap to convert to a Dragonfly and I like it. I need more airtime to decide if it will stay. The switch between the two takes only about three minutes.

Tom

Hardware should be 5000#, 'Software' should be 5400# i think.

The tress cords, support on 2 legs instead of 1; so are being given some allowance i think; some say 2700# is okay. i'm more with 3000-3500. Presently using 5500# 3/8 Tenex for Tress cord on LifeLine.

I am always looking for ways to streamline my gear. I loving only using that which is necessary....though you wouldn't guess it by looking at the stuff I carry around!

You could go with 1/4" Vectrus if you're feeling really hard core....I don't think it be easy it flip that around the tree/limbs though!

Are you using an 11mm climbing line? That's a great way to literally drop pounds out of your gear bag.

love
nick

Originally posted by TheTreeSpyder
Hardware should be 5000#, 'Software' should be 5400# i think.

2nd that. 5400 on ropes, 5000 on hdware. That is how I always undwerstood it.

Originally posted by murphy4trees
One concern about the diameter of a lanyard is on small diameter there is less fiber to cut through before failure... what might be just a big nick in 1/2" could blow right through 1/4"...

Darn good point!

New or old, anyone can make a mistake or get careless. New guys are ignorant, and the old ones get complacent.

Originally posted by murphy4trees
One concern about the diameter of a lanyard is on small diameter there is less fiber to cut through before failure... what might be just a big nick in 1/2" could blow right through 1/4"... Less of a concern if you are following the two tie in rule and probably not that big an issue for veterans... but for newbies it could make a big difference...
Just a thought.... what do you think?

What do I think?

Real good point!!!

I'm streamlined as a beeoytch...

nice tape I once worked with a mexican fela who taped his hand saw scabord to his leg after he saw my velcro version. twas perty slick

Latest posts

Back